It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
(female)

singlemalt123 HB User
sharp stabbing pain under my left lower rib cage - please help

I have a sharp stabbing pain under my left lower rib cage that comes and goes. It started in the middle of the night last week. I do notice this happens shortly after eating. Especially when eating carbs, like oatmeal, cereal, bread... I had a bowl of cabbage soup for dinner and didn't get any pain. then 2 hours later I had a bowl of cereal for dessert, then 1 minute later the pain came back. It doesn't burn, there is no other pain in my body. I do get diarrhea though after eating with cramps. Any ideas what this might be? I start a new job next Monday so I don't have any medical insurance to see a doctor. Do you have any recommendation for natural medicine to help?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: sharp stabbing pain under my left lower rib cage - please help

You may have food sensitivities that create excess stomach acid (which in turn will cause the pain in your chest . . . just a quick stab especially if you move a certain way) and also the diarrhea with cramping. Since you have already noticed what foods tend to cause it, you may want to lay off of those for a while.

I have irritable bowel syndrome and get those symptoms from fried foods and MSG to name a few.

When it gets bad for me, I take an over the counter antacid like Tums. I wait 15 minutes. If I am not seeing an improvement, I take another one. Resting while the antacid does its job is recommended. Physical activity just keeps the stomach acids churned up.

Best of luck!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
(male)

bikin mike HB User

I have had basically the same thing today especially, but had it a lot a couple years ago. Here is what I am going to do (which is what I did before and it got better).

Drink lots of water (half body weight in ounces or more)
Eat fresh fruits and veges each day
No carbonated, and no caffeinated drinks
NSAIDS only when I really need to

In the past, I also noticed a correlation between my stress level and the pain. I don't know if it is a mild ulcer or not. I will be asking my doctor about it next time I see him. I have asked my past doctor about this and he said he has heard of that pain being caused by gases in the stomach. My diet today certainly is very capable of causing this. I also took a couple aleve, which I don't normally take, so that may have contributed to it.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
(female)

Conceptual HB User

It does not sound like extra acid in your stomach especially-where you feel the pain, below the lowest part of your self side of your rib cage. That is where your large intestine lies as well as your diaphragm, but the diarrhea may be a sensitivity to carbs. I can't help you as you ask, as you need to physically seek professional assistance to eliminate various possibilities but my thrown out suggestions may make you think and direct yourself the right path or observation.

You said in the middle of the night, but then you also said in the same sentence, shortly after you eat. That is a little confusing, unless you eat in the middle of the night....or very late. If that is the case, I would suggest you don't eat after 8.00pm, or thereabouts.
You may have sensitivity to carbs, and the valve at the lower part of the large intestine at the end of your small intestine-on the right low part of your abdomen near the groin-remains open...creating problems-or it might be-simply adhesions in the fascia/or diaphragm/inter-coastal muscles area upon your ribcage (it has been known to happen or other muscular pull there-due to past repeated enxiety and withholding your breathing/or heart palpitations) or could be the large intestine in the area of-the transverse and the descending colon, where it is where you describe the pain.
Some folks have found a lot of relief and end of such problem you describe, by simply having a few colonic irrigations due to strictures or other reasons.
(I wonder if you had yogurt, if it assists you or not).

Either way, change your diet, by removing carbs, and not eating late and see how you go to eliminate some possibilities.
Also, if you mix your foods wrongly as in acid/alkaline, this could also create a problem with some folks-due to the different digestive juices combining.
Once you do your own home work by testing these and your ways of eating, you may be able to assist the health professional you may need to see, to look in the right direction.
Why not visit a dietitian, (or even a physical therapist also), to eliminate muscular/fascia adhesion problems in that area, after you see a health professional first. They might decideto have you have an ultrasound or other tests, if you had it constantly and persistently in the past.
Good luck
PS. Just wandering if you remember what was happening in your life/lifestyle two years earlier when that was occurring before.

Last edited by Conceptual; 05-16-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Closed Thread