It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

corbett17 HB User
2 Years Of Chest Pain

Hi - My 43 y/o wife has been having chest pain now going on 2 years with no idea why. It started in her left side, and so I rused her to the ER. They gave her nitro which stopped the pain right away. So they are thinking cardiac. So they run all tests and there is no sign of any problems. They run EKG, cardiac blood tests, stress tests, etc and all come back normal. Anxiety was ruled out as well. Over the last 2 years the pain has been constant and has spread over a wider area of her chest. I have had her in the ER a second time because the pain was in her left arm and jaw, and she was sweating. Again, nitro relived the pain. They re-ran all the cardiac tests and found nothing. So now, they moved to GI. They start her on Prilosec which does not help, then Protonix 2x a day, still no relief (pain is worse, actually). They do a scope and find no problems in her GI tract, everything is norma. So now they are trying Nexium to see if that helps. She has an ultrasound scheduled next week to look at her gall bladder, but from what I read, gall bladder pain usually presents on the right side.

So, any one at all with any ideas at all, please help a worried husband.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: 2 Years Of Chest Pain

Has she had a chest x-ray? Inflammation of the rib(s) or connective tissue to the rib(s) can cause chest pain. It is not something that would show up on the tests she has already done.

Keep us posted!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
(male)

corbett17 HB User

Thanks! Yes she has had chest x-rays that don't show anything.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

Lindaru is right. Any inflammation of the tissue in the rib cage will cause chest pain and that usually presents on the left side. I had this last year. I thought I was having a heart attack and I was 21 with no history of cardiac problems. The jaw pain, sweating, and arm pain is something I had, but it was mostly panic because of what I was thinking was happening to me.

The way that I know that my chest pain is just the inflammation of the rib cage is to press on the area. When she is having pain ask her to press on the left side of her sternum, above the breast, and the side of the breast under the arm. If pressing on it causes the pain to come again than it is likely that there is some inflammation of the rib cage.

Hope she feels better
KDD

Closed Thread