It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

luckyocean HB User
Does the pharmacy notify the doctor of when the prescription was filled?

I know the pharmacy keeps a record of when the prescription was filled and I assume the doctor can call and check, if they want. What I would like to know is if they contact the doctor by default (e.g., phone, fax, etc) each time you fill out their prescript.

The prescript I refer to is classified under Schedule II controlled substance if that makes any difference.

Last edited by luckyocean; 10-22-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Does the pharmacy notify the doctor of when the prescription was filled?

Having been on a multitude of medications myself, and having busy doctor's, I know my pharmacy does not get notified everytime I have a refill. If there were ever a question about my useage of medications, I have no doubt he would be the first to drop a call.

When it comes to controlled substances, (which mine aren't) I am sure the doctor's are quite vigilant about their use. They have to be, as these types of drugs are highly addictive and dangerous when not used properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

luckyocean,

When a pharmacist notices that a medication is being refilled sooner than needed on many occasions, than the pharmacist will notify the prescribing doctor and inquire if the prescription has been changed. This especially is true for narcotic medication. Misuse of medications is a very common problem with the elderly who sometimes do not understand the doctors instructions.

Pharmacists are also very vigilant when it comes to narcotic medications, not only do they notify the prescribing doctor, but they also notify neighboring drug stores who will make a record of the patient and keep an eye out for a patient who goes to different pharmacies to refill their prescriptions.

A pharmacist will also notify the DEA if they feel that the ordering doctor has a habit of prescribing a large quanity of narcotic medication.

I hope that this answers your question

Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
(female)

luckyocean HB User

Hi there, the med in question is not a narcotic, it's a stimulant, and there's no funny business related to filling it out, of any nature. Assuming no "red flags", would they notify him by default?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

<They> do usually do not contact doctors about prescriptions being filled unless there is a problem with it. If there is no problems with the prescription then <the doctor is not contacted>

Hope this helps
KDD

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-23-2008 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules

The Following User Says Thank You to KDD 26 For This Useful Post:
warivett (05-10-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

luckyocean HB User

Thanks! That's all I was wondering!

Closed Thread