It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Can your doctor test you to see if your vitamins and minerals, etc...???

Can a doctor do a blood test that tells you if you have enough of certain vitamins and minerals and such in your body?

What all can you get tested for?

I am feeling run down and was wondering if that was an issue for me?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Can your doctor test you to see if your vitamins and minerals, etc...???

Hi, Doglover . . . I was never tested for anything like that until I went to see a naturopathic physician. Not sure all of the tests they ran on my blood but she discovered I was low on B-9 (folic acid) and some of the other main vitamins. I know they can test for magnesium, potassium, iron and B-12 (which I understand are the ones if deficient that can be responsible for fatigue).

Ask your current doctor if they do vitamin and mineral testing. Otherwise, you may want to see a naturopathic physician.

Let us know how it goes and hope you feel better soon!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
(male)

doglover HB User

Thanks. did you feel better after taking the vitamins you were lacking in?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

I have not really noticed a difference yet (this was done in August), but then mine is a different situation. I was on artificial progesterone and found out I was post-menopausal. She figures once the progesterone (taken by shots every 12 weeks) wears completely out of my system, I should be getting better. The folic acid was actually depleted by getting these shots for 15 years.

She also reminded me that I am getting older. I would like to see some improvement though. I will just have to wait and see!

Lindaru

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

CBC and electrolyte tests are common and routinely preformed by most doctors. I've lost track of how many times I've had those.
The other tests you either have to request or have a doctor that thinks testing would be worth it. The cost of blood tests adds up pretty quickly, so hopefully you have insurance to cover this - without insurance it could easily total around $1000-2000.

Closed Thread