It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Am I sensitive to salt?

Within the last year, I have noticed my blood pressure rose ten points on both systolic and diastolic levels...for absolutely no reason (my weight stayed the same, and my diet became a little healthier). I also have breathing issues that I think *could* be due to my pre-hypertension.

I have also noticed that my I get more short of breath than usual after eating anything with more than a little bit of salt. Whenever I eat pizza or Chinese food, I cannot breathe right for the rest of the day (both of which, as you may know, are high in salt). Today I ate a homemade meal seasoned with random spices that I had to assume were salty because my breathing has been rough all night...while at rest.

Could it be I am somehow sensitive to salt? As of right now, I don't know what is causing my breathing issues, so it may not actually be hypertension. But I don't think the shortness of breath after eating anything relatively salty i a coincidence (unless I am in some way allergic to one of the spices I used).

Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Am I sensitive to salt?

Hi, Dark Stranger . . . I will agree that too much salt can raise the blood pressure but I am wondering if any of those things you eat (especially pizza and Chinese food) had monosodium glutamate (MSG)?

Symptoms from people allergic to it can range from chest pressure and pain to shortness of breath to severe headaches to extreme stomach discomfort and even diarrhea.

See if any of your home made ingredients have it in there (notorious in many meat tenderizers and meat seasonings).

MSG is becoming more intolerable to more people and some companies are working to remove it from their ready to eat foods.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I agree with Lindauru. MSU is a big allergin and causes allot of the issues that you mentioned. I would start by eliminating that from your diet first and see if that doesn't help with your breathing issues.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I would bet that MSG is what is causing you the breathing issues. This happens to me anytime i eat anything with it in there. Most Chinese food causes me problems.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Hmm, I didn't know MSG could cause reactions like that. I don't eat enough fast food to know if something from a chain fast food place (which I know are notorious for using MSG) would cause the same effect. I might try experimenting and getting something I *know* has MSG and seeing how I react.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

MSG is in all kinds of things, not just fast food. There are many different canned soups that contain it, spices and a lot of other things that you may use at home. I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now and i have learned the foods i can eat and the ones i cant. If i forget and eat something i shouldn't then my breathing is messed up for the day or even a few days. It took a long time to find out what triggers it. Good luck!!

Closed Thread