It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

angeltears20 HB User
Unhappy food poisoning lasting over 3 weeks

hi, i have had food poisoning for over 3 weeks now, it all started on the 31st of october when i got a fish meal from my local chippy, around 12 that night i got a pain in my stomach and was sick at 2am for about an hour, i had chills and a fever it took me 4 days to want to eat something, now on and off i have been sick my doctor said the reason its lasting long is because i wasnt very sick and it is still in my system it is now entering the 4th week and i still am sick in the mornings today i havent been able to eat anything just take dioralyte to keep up my fluids now i want to know if i can do something to get my stomach back to normal sooner rather than later

Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: food poisoning lasting over 3 weeks

Hi, Angeltears . . . the best thing I can recommend to you is probiotic (lactobacillus acidophilus, l. casei, s. thermophilus, s. bulgaris) type yogurt or tablets. The active cultures will replace the flora that has been lost in your digestive tract by your illness. Keeping hydrated well is a great help as well as the more fluids you take, the faster residual toxins will wash out of your system.

Let us know how it goes!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: food poisoning lasting over 3 weeks

Hi angeltears,

I'm sorry you still feel so sick. The reason you're feeling that way is not necessarily because the flora of your gut have been disturbed; rather, after having an intestinal toxic bacterium (like salmonella or campylobacter) in your system, there is a lot of damage to the wall of your gut. As a result, you lose a lot of the microscopic enzymes like lactase and sucrase that are normally located in the "brush border" of the bowel surface. Without these enzymes, and in the presence of some of the residual damage from all the previous inflammation, you have what they call a "post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome". This is NOT the same thing as Irritable Bowel Syndrome that many young women get.

In any case, you can be assured the infection is gone, but it may be up to two months before you feel totally normal again. The probiotics may help, but you may want to avoid taking in too much dairy stuff because one of the most severely lost enzymes in the gut is lactase, and by eating a lot of dairy, you'll get lots of gas, cramps and diarrhea.

Closed Thread