It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
(male)

pdpfs HB User
Aquagenic Pruritis

I suffer from aquagenic pruritis, a condition where prolonged exposure to water (shower, swimming, getting rained on) makes me itchy for up to half an hour after exposure. It is very frustrating, every time I shower I am very itchy all over (head, arms, legs, etc.). I was wondering if anyone knows any way of making this stop or at least less intense, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Aquagenic Pruritis

I have a physical allergy called cold urticaria. I know with mine it's important to stop the exposure as soon as symptoms (hives) worsen - that means warming up as fast as possible. Occasionally I take Benedryl as a preventative. I've strange skin to begin with, I call it "silly putty" skin because I mark up so easily. I've also gotten hives on my arms just from the pressure of carrying something. I'm not usually itchy in water but any temperature other than tepid (cold or hot) and I'm bright red and blotchy head to toe.

I'm sure you've tried tons of stuff already, bear with me as I go through the list - an emollient? A barrier between your skin and the water, like baby oil or aloe? Capsaisin cream? Sodium bicarb in the bath water? Low flow shower head - I know I can't use the super strong hotel showers, I end up looking like a murder victim. Allergy meds like benedryl or stronger? Ultraviolet-B phototherapy is new and better for your skin than all-over tanning. I assume you've been tested for illnesses that can cause aquagenic pruritis like Polycythemia and iron deficiency? All cotton clothes, sheets and towels are a must for me.

I've read they're trying Naltrexone (Vivitrol, ReVia), it's actually an anti-drinking drug for alcoholics but I guess it effects pruritis too. They're already using it in folks with Cholestatic Pruritis. (gallbladder/liver disease)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread