It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
(male)

Jimmy B HB User
Post Glenoid Labrum Tear - Arthroscopic Surgery

Hello Everyone,

Not sure what category to throw this thread in since there really isn't a shoulder related category that I could find.

I've been having pain in my right shoulder for nearly a year now. After attempting physical therapy with no success, I went for an MRI. The MRI revealed a tear in the Glenoid Labrum. The tear is severe enough that it will not heal on its own and surgery is recommended immediately.

The surgery is scheduled for this morning 12/8/08... about 6hrs from now. It will be arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn labrum. The surgeon will also try and remove some cysts forming in my shoulder joint and smooth down any rough bone in that area. I was told the cysts occurred from the bones in my shoulder joint grinding together for so long. During the surgery the Dr. will also examine the biceps tendon to make sure it is not detached (this does not always show on the MRI).

The type of tear I have is called a SLAP tear (superior labrum, anterior to posterior). It's also considered a grade 2 SLAP lesion. My symptoms are basically pain with any overhead activity (throwing, tennis, etc.). Pain at night when arm is outstretched. Decreased range of motion, loss of strength and grinding and popping when I rotate my shoulder.

I did not find much information regarding my surgery on the Health Boards, so I have decided to document my procedure and my recovery for all of you. Hopefully this will inform others who are considering this type of surgery or who are having symptoms similar to mine. I'll try and let everyone know how much pain is involved, what meds are prescribed, what the physical therapy is like and overall progress of my rehab. Typing might be a little challenging as my arm must be in a sling for 3-4 weeks.

Right now I'm feeling pretty nervous, this is my first surgery EVER!! I am a 40 yr old healthy, active male who has played sports all his life. In fact, the injury is probably related to overuse versus anything acute I can recall. I never thought my body would simply start to wear out... old age is wonderful isn't it?

OK, I've got to get some sleep now and be ready for the morning. I hope to update you all tomorrow, or maybe the next day if I can't type.

Jimmy B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Glenoid Labrum Tear - Arthroscopic Surgery

Jimmy,

Good luck with your surgery. You can find some shoulder threads under the bone chats. Two people who have had recent experiences were feelbad and Sammy.

I had a portion of your surgery last spring. It was a subacromial decompression. They removed some bone from under my shoulder to keep the constant rubbing down. It was a laproscopic surgery that had good results.

I have a colleague who recently had surgery to repair the tears in his shoulder. He had extremely good results and was out 4-wheeling after a couple months. It was ackward for him in the sling, but with help from his family, he did really well getting through that period.

The best advice I could give you would be to find a good PT and keep up with your exercises throughout the healing process.

Wishing you well.
Mountain Reader

Last edited by MountainReader; 12-08-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey MR,thats "feelbad'. i haven't quite gotten to the "feelgood' yet. just wanted to also wish you luck with the shoulder surgery. we really DO NEED a good shoulder surgery or injury boards here since it appears ever since sammy and myself have gone thru this,everyone who looks up shoulder surgery just gets sent here. it would be nice to have one place for all the threads.

jimmy,if you want to look up the old threads on mine and sammys surgerys,they were back in feb of this year(08)just look up rotator cuff repair,or even CPM machine,since this was part of our at home excercise that we had tio do thru out the day.that may bring upthose threads a bit easier. i think they got stuck on the general health boards and the bone boards if i am not mistaken. i do think ours were a bit more in depth,but you can get alot of useful info from them. espescially trying to wing it with one arm in a sling(you just get very creative). now that sucked.

as long as you follow what your surgeon tells you to with regards to the post op excercises and any hands on PT they Rx for you,you should be fine. but that PT IS very crucial in really recovering all your ROMS after any shoulder surgery that is simply going to immobilize your shoulder joint,which this does with that sling. if you don't just do every excercise,you can end up with whats called frozen shoulder and trust me,you don't want to even go there. you will more than likely start some level of excercises the very next day or the day after that. just do what you can to get that joint moving as soon as possible. always take your pain meds first(just a little FYI based upon experience).ice is a wonderul pain reliever too,espescially after excercise.

please let us know how things are going when you get the chance. hope all went well for you. just give a hollar if you need some help. FB

Old 12-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Sorry feelbad. That is what I get for replying late at night when I was tired.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
(male)

Jimmy B HB User

Thanks Mountain, Thanks FB,

I made it through day 1 !!

Overall, everything went well. The actual tear was not as bad as originally thought and only required one anchor suture. However, there was a significant portion of cartilage material missing from the socket. The surgeon performed a newer technique by drilling into the bone in a few areas to encourage the growth of new cartilage I will have to ask about this during my follow up visit in a week.

Pain was very minimal all day yesterday, probably due to the block that numbed my entire arm and shoulder. Today the pain was more signifacant and I had to up my vicodin from 1 pill to 2 pills every 4-6 hours. I also started my excersises today that include a pendulum type exercise, doing little circles with my arm hanging and lifting up my shoulder and letting it fall back down.

I did sleep in the lazy boy last night as this was the most comfortable position to be in. I've spent most of the time watching movies or sportcenter and constantly dozing off

This cryo sleeve with a recirculating water cooler is the best thing ever. This alone has made things much better than ice bags alone. The motor does make a fair amount of noise every 25 seconds, but you get used to it.

This is also the first time I have tried typing... and it's not so bad. I have a wireless laptop that does the trick. I can remove my bandages tomorrow, however, I still can't shower until the 5th day. I have to wear the cryo sleeve for 10 days (I don't mind at all though as this feels so good) and then I can wear it as needed. Besides that, I go back for post op appointment in 1 week and start PT in 2 weeks.

I have to say, things are better than I expected at this point and I can't wait to be able to use my arm again.

I'll check back in a couple days or if anything changes...

Jimmy B.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

glad you got thru everything. one thing i can say without a doubt here is that ice is probably doing much more as far as pain control than even your narcotics are. that ice was a lifesaver for me post op after my tears were repaired. i love ice. i DO remember well,all the little pendulum excercises. they really do help alot in getting that joint moving tho without involving any muslce or tendon,make certain to follow those to the letter. i also had to use that continuous passive motion chair thingy too. that was also a big help. i really noticed the difference in my abilitys once that chair was done and i had to send it back. i kind of took a couple steps back after that. but once i got into the very important hands on PT,things got much better. it sure does hit you once that block dissipates doesn't it? thats when we really hit the ice. i didn;t have that cryo sleeve,and believe me i wish i had gone with it. luckily from what you have stated,the overall surgery wasn't really as in depth for you and believe me,that alone makes a big difference in pain levels and healing too. by the time my supra had completley torn,it was a big mess inthere which required alot of sepoerate repairs,and i felt every single one post op,lol.

hopefully things will continue to progress,just do everything your surgeon tells you with regards to any excercises and PT. its all Rxed for a good reason. good luck and please keep us posted jimmy. FB

Old 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
(male)

Jimmy B HB User

1 Week Update

After one full week, things appear to be going great. Pain is very minimal, unless I move my arm the wrong way. However, range of motion is very minimal too. Still wearing a sling, still using cryo-sleeve occasionally. Doing my exercise routine every day as directed and not missing any reps. Not taking any pain medication after day 4... this is a big issue for me, cause I cannot stand the feeling of being medicated. Finally moved bowels after one full day off pain meds.

Here is what I have found to be the most difficult issues to deal with:

Sleeping - Still cannot lay down flat in bed and be comfortable enough for any significant sleep. Sleeping in recliner is still the best way to keep comfortable.
Pain Meds - Upset stomach and constipation. I've been taking stool softeners with my pain meds and still had problems with moving bowels. The inactivity does not help at all.
Wound Dressing - For some reason this caused a lot of discomfort for me. Even after taking the dressings off (tape), there was some residue left behind that itched like crazy and felt like strands of fiberglass in my skin. This caused my skin to break out and was very irritating.
Armpit Rash - With your arm constantly tucked to your side, this creates lots of sweat. I've started using baby powder and that helps a little, but there is just no preventing the constant sweating and odor.
Stir Crazy - This is a big issue for me. I made a goal early on to get out and go to a college basketball game 5 days after surgery. This was a big milestone for me as getting out of the house seemed to help me feel better. Don't just think you are going to lay around and watch movies for a week. This will drive you insane.

So all in all, I feel pretty good. My first post op appointment is this Friday and my stitches will be removed then too. Rehab should start shortly after. I'm looking forward to it... although I'm sure it will be painful.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
(female)

wyssasu00 HB User

i fell into a beam about a month and a half ago and when i had my mri done two weeks ago the results said it looks like i have a slap repair (had the dye injected in) it didnt say it was for certian but still hurt when i move my arm and i am in a sling they say i need the slap repiar surgery i go into the ortho doc. on monday kind scared about the surgery but after reading this it helps me a little bit knowing it went well for you

Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
(male)

Jimmy B HB User

1 Month Update

Still recovering. Not very much pain at this point however, my shoulder does feel very stiff and my range of motion is lacking. First PT appointment was a few days ago. They showed me some exercises for working on my range of motion (pulleys and bands). The exercises are a bit painful, but I realize they are doing good, so I'll try not to miss any. Therapist plans on seeing me just once a week for four weeks until I get my range of motion back. Then it's time to start strengthening the shoulder again.

Sleeping is still causing me some problems four weeks later. I'm a side sleeper, so the shoulder still gets sore at night and causes me to toss and turn quite a bit. The doc did prescribe some sleeping aids, but I don't like the way I feel the next day after taking those.

I've also stopped using my sling and the cryo-sleeve. I'm using a heating pad occasionally for comfort. If the PT starts to cause any swelling, I'm sure I will break out the cryo-sleeve again. Doctor won't let me take any Ibuprofen as it interferes with the healing process of the micro fraction procedure I had done.

Overall, I'm still very positive surgery was the right choice for me. I can't wait to get my range of motion back and start strengthening my shoulder. Doctor says I should have no problems golfing this summer if all goes well.

Oh yeah - today I raised my arm up over my head on its own for the first time since surgery. It wasn't easy... I had to concentrate hard to make it happen.

I'll give another update in a month...

Last edited by Jimmy B; 01-05-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

congrats on that arm raise,it IS a big deal. glad things are going well for you jimmy. just following everything your ortho and PT have you doing is really the key to getting the full ROMs back properly without impairments. it all just takes some time. but it does sound like everythig is on track for you.

the one thing that helped me sleep,but i am used to sleeping only on my back becasue of my spinal cord injuries,is just keeping that shoulder solidly supported before you go to sleep,and during sleep? just place small towels or pillows in various ways til you find that good comfortable spot. if you happen to move around alot in your sleep like sammy(the other woman who was going thru this with me?)did,she was all over the place. she finally actually placed a bed pilow around her arm with duct tapping that pillow so it kind of 'cuffed" the arm in a way? and just slid her arm into it before she went to sleep. you could try that too if you move around alot in sleep. just something i know she said really helped her sleep. the thing i noticed right away when sleeping without that sling was alot of pain when that arm/shoulder was down to low and not supported at just the right level/angle? getting that part situated will really help you.

i am glad things went well and seem to be continuing on the upswing for you. like i said above,just follow ALL recommendations for PT to the letter. please keep us updated jimmy. good luck, FB

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
(female)

Marvelina5 HB User

rom my research, this should be a good result for you---if you follow the doc's orders post-op. My problem is that I have a detached labrum on one side and three obvious tears on the r cuff on the other (no arthroscopic, just MRI so possible labrum coldn't be seen). On my first visit to sports medicine dr., she bounced in, assured me that I was NOT crazy, that the excruciating pain, the inability to lift or push pillows, etc...was indeed real, the result of injuries. I returned after another MRI--with dye contrast with a diagnosis of detached labrum-both anterior and superior in the other, left shoulder. This time, in five minutes, this young dr. informed me that there was nothing to be done....that I was too old for surgery..."I only do 20 to 40 years olds"....and gave me a prescription for PT (which I had done previously and religiously for my primary care dr., but which aggravated first the most painful one on the right...then inflamed the left one, so the therapist stopped the movement). When I informed her that for 4 months of being in such pain that sleep became impossible had become intolerable---(and I was trained to ignore pain and just get on with life...even teaching school with migrained headaches)(actually, without being aware of it, tears ran down my face), she wrote a prescription for me to see a dr. who dealt with pain management. I can't find anything on the WEB putting an age limit for fixing tears...I already meditate to manage the pain, sit in hot baths, and trained other people to manage pain. Does anyone know what to do besides being disabled with this pain? I jumped out of airplanes a couple of years ago and am not a pansy...lol...but my life is crippled and I'm not ready to be thrown out like a piece of used toilet paper.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
(female)

Marvelina5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
congrats on that arm raise,it IS a big deal. glad things are going well for you jimmy. just following everything your ortho and PT have you doing is really the key to getting the full ROMs back properly without impairments. it all just takes some time. but it does sound like everythig is on track for you.

the one thing that helped me sleep,but i am used to sleeping only on my back becasue of my spinal cord injuries,is just keeping that shoulder solidly supported before you go to sleep,and during sleep? just place small towels or pillows in various ways til you find that good comfortable spot. if you happen to move around alot in your sleep like sammy(the other woman who was going thru this with me?)did,she was all over the place. she finally actually placed a bed pilow around her arm with duct tapping that pillow so it kind of 'cuffed" the arm in a way? and just slid her arm into it before she went to sleep. you could try that too if you move around alot in sleep. just something i know she said really helped her sleep. the thing i noticed right away when sleeping without that sling was alot of pain when that arm/shoulder was down to low and not supported at just the right level/angle? getting that part situated will really help you.

i am glad things went well and seem to be continuing on the upswing for you. like i said above,just follow ALL recommendations for PT to the letter. please keep us updated jimmy. good luck, FB

Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
(female)

Marvelina5 HB User

Feelbad, the advice about sleeping with the pillows was gold for me!!! I haven't been comfortable in months...did what you advised Jimmy B to do---and lay down for the first time and napped....pillows duct-taped to my arms. I kiss your feet!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
(female)

hoopmama11 HB User

Hi, I just discovered this site and could use some advice or encouragement. I had labral tear surgery on my shoulder a month ago (also had some bone spurs removed). My PT started the same week. I continue to have sharp pain when my elbow is not supported when I lay down. Today, I began to have the same sharp pain in my shoulder and near my arm pit just when sitting or standing or even sneezing. It hurts to the point that I tear up. How would I know if something was wrong? I should add that a couple of days after my surgery, a heavy glass lid slid out of my kitchen cabinet and I relexively reached out to catch it with my bad arm (still in the sling). I did catch it but it hurt. My PT thinks I am progressing normally but this recurring pain is messing with my mind. Any advice? I thing you said in a post that after 1 month you were able to get your arm over your head. I can barely get mine straight out in front of me! Thanks for your help.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

first of all, marvelina?? as far as i am aware here too, there IS NO age limit with this type of surgery. just how old are you by the way? i was 47 hen i had my rotator repair. it comes down to more of how YOUR overall health is really with ANY actual surgery. i would SERIOUSLY obtain a very badly needed second opionion from a much more experienced ortho. there is simply NO reason you cannot have this repaired to at least bring down that overall pain level and regain full to at least better use of that arm right now. i would push this, really push this with another ortho.

trust me when i say here that not all specialists are created equal, no way no how. this has been my ongoing experience with having to have six seperate surgeries and an aneurysm coiling just becasue it was soo much fun. had many stupid assinine opinions from so called specialists who were honest to god at times plain stupid and lacking even remote basic common sense. i am thinking the idiot ortho you saw likes to have the best possible shot at the best outcomes with ALL patiens here? does not want someone to possibly mess up his "perfect' record by taking any chance on doing a flippin surgery on someone who does not just 'fit" HIS criteria he set for HIMSELF at some point and not any real standard protocal that requires any patient to be within a certain age frame, ya know what i mean? just seek out a better more knowledgable and CARING ortho to do this for you. geez,what an ego. i am sooo glad acvice i gave was able to help someone. those pillows are a true lifesaver when placed just right and then held there too. believe me,when we are suffering, we can really get pretty creative can't we.

HM, did you call your surgeon at the time this happened or does he know at all about this? while everyone kind of heals in there own timeframe and in very individual ways, what you are feeling could be another type of actual injury considering the catching thing you did right at the beginning? believe me,there were times where if that sling had not prevented me from doing it, i would have shot that surgical arm out when something was falling or other things just popped up during the day too. its just that 'natural reflex' in us.

what you are describing just with this pain actually being 'sharp" in nature really does sound like something may have changed either up in the actual surgical area itself or how the nerves are now lying too. i would seriously see your surgeon and even possibly get another MRI done if this stays the same and does not get any better soon? depending upon just how really 'good' your actual PT person really is, they may know what they are doing or they may not. its kind of a crap shoot when it comes to good knowledgable PTs. been there done that one to death myself. i have an excellent one now who i was seeing even before my tendon snapped for alot of other muscle and c spine nightmares i have been dealing with. he is one of those who simply can 'feel" whenever there has been a real problem in any area in me he works on.

any NEW pain that develops during any surgical healing course really just does need to be much more thoroughly checked out. i really would see your actual surgeon for another eval ofthis area and se just what he feels and wants you to do here. while some increase in overall pain IS expected with PT, you should NOT be having "hypersensive pain" like you are that brings you to the verge of tears, ya know what i mean? thats just kind of above and beyond the 'norm' espescially this far out and having started PT so early on post op.

in your particular case, i would pretty much be demanding to see your surgeon if anyone gives you trouble here. this just really NEEDS another eval right now. that type of pain is just NOT the norm. like i mentioned already, just obtaining even a new MRI could possibly show something new that was not present post op or even pre op either. it really would be the best way to truely tell how things just are inside the surgical area right now.

i really am sorry things are not getting better for you. but you DO need that eval from your surgeon just to obtain his impression of this and possibly sending you for that MRI too. something just does not sound 'right' about how this is going or how it presented either. good luck and please keep us posted MH, FB

Closed Thread