It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
(male)

Catamaran29 HB User
why does cold cause me to cramp?

Why does cold caue me to cramp?

I get get cramps, in most limbs, and some thorasic regions when there is a cooling in ambient temperature. Today, a front came through, and after, I went out in shirt-sleeves and began fighting a cramp in my shoulder.

My arms will want to go into spasm, and my fingers may decide to do the same. My only relief is to apply force in the opposite direction. If I let go, boing!, they sring back into spasm position. It's random where the cramp/spasm will strike but it is frequent enough to be inconvenient. I have also had that neck cramp --That really hurts. This has been boing on for over 50 years, but I'd like to get over it, and I guess I will -- eventually.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
(male)

LukeBud HB User
Re: why does cold cause me to cramp?

hello, I am not a doctor or nurse or anything. i am a lifeguard so have first aid knowledge... I know that the cause of cramp is due to nurves causing our muscles to contract tighter than we would normaly wish them to, so causing pain known as cramp.

There are alot of causes for cramp but i hear you say this has been going on for longer than 50 years. So it could be down to a low calcium or magniesum in your blood. This normally affects the older generation of people. In this case you might want to see your local GP to see if there is anything you can do or take to help this.

It could also be down to low potassium which is normally caused by muscle weakness. So doing simple exercise in the muscles which usually gets cramp could prevent them from happening.

And this part would be a guess but because you say it normally happens in colder tempratures, your muscles naturally tense up more in cold weather than in the heat. So this could be setting the cramps off.

I hope my information helps a bit. Like i said, I am only 19 and a lifeguard with first aid experiance. So someone elses views might help a bit more.

Last edited by LukeBud; 12-18-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread