It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
(male)

BigTex1987 HB User
Question Strep Throat, Mono, Tonsils swollen

Hello, I went to the ER on Christmas day after I couldn't handle the pain anymore in my throat, they looked at it real fast and said, "Yep, it's Strep throat". So they give me a shot of penicillin and tell me it'll start to be better on Friday and I'll be all good Monday. Well if anything it just got worse and I was starting to get dehydrated too so I went to another place in town(we were out of town for Christmas) and they tell me it's Mono which is a virus and cant be treated with antibiotics. So they gave me a full iv bag to hydrate me and some motrin and sent me on my way. I'm still in pain and can't put down food at all and barely can get water down after I take a liquid or crushed pill for pain. I'm worried I'm dehydrated again and now I wonder if it's possible I have the mono virus but actually it's a bacteria on my tonsils? If so then that shot didn't help. Any idea how much longer this will go on and how long I can go without much water if I'm in my house not doing anything strenuous?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Strep Throat, Mono, Tonsils swollen

You have to try to drink something. Being sick will dehydrate you all by itself. Mix some honey in the water, sugar will take down the swelling in your throat, and get a few calories into you as well.

As to which illness is causing your symptoms? Couldn't say. You could take a flash light and peek down your throat in the mirror, though. Stick your tongue out. If you see nasty whitish spots, it's probably something bacterial.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User

You need to find out which one of those it is, as the treatment is different. There is a test they can do for strep, and a test for mono. You cannot just look at someone and tell. When I was younger I got strep twice in 2 years. Both times really hit me hard, but the second time I thought I was dying. I was about 13, and was so unbelievably sick. I had a fever of 103-104 for a week straight. Was so dehydrated that my lips would get so chapped they would bleed. I would sleep for 22 hours a day, was hallucinating, and couldn't even keep water down. When we went to the doctors office I couldnt even stay awake in the waiting room. The doctor took one look at me, and figured it was mono, and told my mom I needed to go to the hospital. They did the strep test anyways and it came back positive. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
(male)

BigTex1987 HB User

Yeah my tongue has that gross stuff on it like the bacteria but they did a swap and blood test the second time and said I had mono. I was wondering if I could have mono which is a virus and then have strep that was a bacteria? I'm going to try and get some water down again soon, bleh it hurts so much.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jonstar HB User

Buy some Cepacol or Sucrettes anasthetic lozonges, they will releive the apin in the throat enough to allw you to drink fludis and take some ibuprofen every 4 hours.

Keep using a lozonge every couple of hours, and 2 Advil every 4 hours.

Might be a good idea to ask your doctor to take a swab of your throat and see what it turns up.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
(male)

BigTex1987 HB User

Well the last doctor told me it was Mono after the swab and blood test. So I assume it's that but it must just be a real bad case of it for my tonsils. I've tried Cepacol and it causes me more pain than anything. Bleh.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sometimes mono causes an enormous amount of swelling around the throat.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

BigTex.. it's not "common" to have both at the same time but it is possible. However to confirm strep you get a throat culture which takes a day or two to confirm so I suspect the "strep" diagnosis was someone just looking at your throat and assuming it.. Nothing worse then stacked illnesses though. Worst I had was strep and bronchitis at the same time. Having to cough all the time with an infected throught is the worst!!
I would go back and get another opinion myself, especially if you aren't getting better. Definitely try to get some liquid down. It doesn't have to be water.. try Gatorade or something similar, hot tea, or even just warm chicken broth. I find those more soothing on the throat then water.

Reply Reply