It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
(male)

TomTom21 HB User
Stomach Problem

Hey guys so for the last week and half almost I have been experiencing stomach pain. This is a first for me and I have never had something like this before. Basically what is happening is I am getting pain in my stomach area that does not seem gas related or constipation. I have been taking Pepcid AC for the past week and it seems to go away for about 10 hours and then comes right back. It is a very uncomfortable pain. I am 23 years old and used to drink a lot of diet soda, almost 6 cans a day. I have a feeling it could be a possible stomach ulcer even though I have never had one ever. I tried even taking an ex-lax to see if it was constipation and the pain still came back. I have noticed that my stoles have been harder and somewhat discolored. I am getting health insurance in less than 15 days but I feel taking pepcid that long could be harmful. Please provide any help or ideas. I also fear the fact of possibly having to get a camera down my throat....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: Stomach Problem

My stomach pain was diagnosed as mild gastritis. I had the camera down the throat, which was nothing as far as procedures go. I also have IBS and artificial sweeteners give me the worst stomach cramps. I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Stomach Problem

Taking Pepsid for a couple weeks won't hurt you. Whatever condition is causing this might possibly.

In what way are your stools discolored? If they are black and tarry, it could be blood. Black stools can also be caused by black licorice, lead, iron pills, bismuth medicines like Pepto-Bismol, or blueberries. Assuming they are black, and you haven't been consuming any of those things regularly, it could be a bleeding ulcer.

Where exactly is the pain? Ulcer pain is usually located in the upper left portion of the abdomen, and it is a sharp, burning type pain.

Unless you are bleeding significantly, it's probably safe to wait a couple weeks. Avoid aspirin, advil, and coffee. If you are bleeding, it might not be safe to wait.

Closed Thread