It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
(male)

Spoonster HB User
Question Painful lump on my lower back and buttocks area

okay, I'll try to explain in as much detail as possible without confusing you:

I've had this lump on me for about 10 days now, and in the last 4 or so days it's began to hurt, a lot. I've tried applying antiseptic cream to it, so far there's been no improvement. It looks darker than my skin around it, and is raised. It is longer than it is wider, aswell. As far as I know, it's not a boil or a pimple, because it's a bit big, around 5cm. Please help and give diagnosis so I can treat it, and thanks for reading this thread

Last edited by Spoonster; 01-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Painful lump on my lower back and buttocks area

If the lump is just above your tailbone, at the cleft of your buttocks, it's very likely a pilonidal cyst. They are usually tremendously painful to pressure. If you're lucky, they break open and start to drain on their own within a few days. It really can't be treated by yourself, except maybe by soaking in a hot bath to help it open and to speed draining. A doctor can lance it to drain it this time, but it will recur over and over again unless surgery is done to fix it permanently.

I know how much pain you're in, because my husband has one that flares up occasionally. My son got one when he was 18, had it surgically fixed, and it has not recurred.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Assuming it is by your tailbone...

I also had a cyst on my tailbone. It became very painful and was lanced, and then surgically removed. They thought it was a pilonidal but turned out to be some other kind of cyst. Anyways, if it is by your tailbone, chances are it is a cyst. You can try soaking in a hot bath, putting a warm compress on it, and also keeping it really clean. If it doesnt feel better within a day, or gets worse at all, go see a doctor right away. Sometimes these burst/drain on their own which isnt a bad thing. The warm bath should bring the fluid to the surface and hopefully allow it to drain. The pressure building up is what causes the pain. So again, dont be surprised if it starts to bleed. I would call your primary care doctor and see if they can start you on a round of antibiotics and recommend a general surgeon or colorectal surgeon.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
(male)

Spoonster HB User

okay, I went to see my GP today, and he said I should take some sort of antiseptic, I forgot what it was called now, but after I've taken it, it seems to have flared up even more. Does this mean that it can be getting better?

Last edited by Spoonster; 01-05-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Do you mean 'antibiotic'? Antibiotics usually don't help that much... and certainly not fast. The thing needs to break open and drain.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
(male)

Spoonster HB User

good news, it burst in my sleep. What do I need to do now so it doesn't get reinfected etc?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

The bad news is that there isn't much you can do in the way of prevention. If it wants to come back, it will... unless it's removed surgically.

If you're taking an antibiotic, definitely keep taking it until you run out of it. But it isn't really an an effective treatment for these cysts and probably won't prevent a return. Did the doctor schedule a return visit to check on it?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
(male)

Spoonster HB User

not really, he just said "there's a 50/50 chance it will fade away or it may return" but never mentioned the scenario of the thing bursting. Pus has been coming out of it on and off all day now, so should I go and see him again, and see what he can do for me?

Last edited by Spoonster; 01-06-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well... from the experiences of my son and husband, I know that the odds are much greater than 50/50 it's going to happen again. My son had almost constant drainage until the surgery. My husband has less frequent flareups, somewhere in the neighborhood of every 3-4 months; but they aren't always such awfully painful flares. That's why he has chosen not to opt for the surgery... because he can most times just live with it until the draining starts.

The cyst sac itself will remain until it's removed, and there will always be a bit of infection inside the sac, because antibiotic medicine cannot enter the sac to eliminate it. When the bacteria count rises high enough again, a more active infection will start... and there you go again. You can just wait and see how it will go for you. Maybe you are more like my husband; maybe more like my son and just want it to go away for good.

I guess that "Manchester" is in England? I know your health system is much different there, and it sounds as if your primary care guy doesn't know much about this problem. If you'd like to get it over with and go the surgery route, you should ask for a referral to a general surgeon or colorectal surgeon, as cj1986 mentioned above.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
(male)

Spoonster HB User

So basically it will never go away until I undergo surgery? That sounds pretty bad, 'cause over the course of the next 3 months or so I have my final school leaving exams, and I can't afford to miss them.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Obviously there's no predicting with something like this. Maybe it won't recur at all before your school exams. If it did, it may not be as bad as it is this time and would be just a minor inconvenience. Surgery certainly could wait until school's over. It wouldn't have to be done at all, if you can tolerate it like my husband does.

My son was in college when he had the surgery. He had it done over spring vacation break. It was an easy operation with a fast recovery, and he was back at school after the break. He hasn't regretted in the least having it done.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Like stated by midwest... these things cannot be treated without surgery. There's things you can do to help prevent flareups, but flareups are only the bodies way of reacting to the cyst itself. Even when it is not infected and draining, its possible that it is spread/growing/tunneling beneath the skin, without giving any symptoms. There is no way to predict if it will ever have another flareup. A lucky few have one flareup and thats it, others deal with constant infections when not on antibiotics. There's no way to tell if it will cause isssues for you again. Draining isnt necessarily a bad sign in regards to these, so just put some gause over it, and clean the area often.

I had my first flare up my last semester of college. I had to have it cut open since it wouldnt drain, and I waited until finals were done and then had an open-excision (they remove the cyst and any of its tunnels/tracts and scar tissue... and then leave the wound open to heal from the inside out, with packing changes daily). It sounds a LOT worse than it really is, honestly. This doctor doesn't seem to concerned/experienced with these things. I would find a general surgeon colorectal surgeon as they have much more knowledge regarding these, and can offer more help.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
(male)

Spoonster HB User

well, my cyst isn't deep enough to warrant packing, luckily. (I think it's 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of an inch deep) so if needs be, I'll probably get it cored out totally. I don't have any gauze in my house, is is there any other materials I could temporarily use in the meantime 'till I get some?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Any clean, white, absorbent cotton material would work. You just want to absorb the pus to keep it from spreading all over the area.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
(female)

cj1986 HB User

The packing is for surgery and for lancings sometimes. If its draining fluid at all you should cover it with gause to absorb the fluid.

And just because thats as deep as the hole is, doesnt mean thats how deep the cyst is. Theres no way to know the size or depth of a cyst until a surgeon opens it up.

Closed Thread