It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

unfit4life HB User
Am I a hopeless case???

Hey guys,

I was really scared to hell as I realized that I'm not even able to do even 5 simple push-ups!!!
I'm 25 now and a my profession is being a pilot for an airline.
Over the last years, I studied abroad and attend a flight school. It was such a stressful time that I didn't had any time left for myself in order to go in for doing sports.
I got my job now and almost everything is turning back to normal except for the concerns of my aeromedical doc.
He told me that I am getting to fat and that the results of my medical examination concerning the sports test was not very good.
He gave me the advice that I need to do sports, go out for some movement or something like that.
Anyway...I got to do something to be able of keeping my medical certificate, otherwise I would loose my job.

Beside of the job problem, I am not feeling good myself...I want to make a change, I want to feel better, I want to live healthy but I'm really despaired about how unfit I am now in this very moment.
Throughout the years I got very immobile and unfit. I can't run 5 min without being short of breath.
Not even 5 push-ups or a simple basic training.
Now my big question:
Is someone like me still be able to gain sportiness back???
Is there a chance for me in life again of being able to make more than 5 push ups?
And is it able to beat my great immovability?
How do you see it? Am I a hopeless case???

I am thankful for every comment!!!

Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Am I a hopeless case???

Barring any medical conditions you have that might make exercise difficult or detrimental, I would say there is no problem with you getting back into shape. Just do not start out at too high of a level. Work your way up slowly with aerobic and weight training. Perhaps starting out with just walking and increasing your distance would be a good way to begin.

I would seek advice from a nutrition counselor and maybe even a personal trainer. You are at an age where you would be able to get yourself in peak physical condition.

Think of it like playing the piano. If you have not done it since childhood, it takes time to get back into the swing of things and continue on but you must practice, practice, practice.

My best wishes for you in your success.

Lindaru

Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Am I a hopeless case???

You are only 25 for heavens sake! Join a gym where there are personal trainers. They will be more than happy to take you on. Within a month you will see a difference. If you can't do that, start by taking a walk. That alone will be better than doing nothing. Then do one more push up than you did the day before.

I had a broken back and had to learn to walk all over again. I will live with some degree of pain the rest of my life...and you are worried that you can't do push ups at 25. Dear me.....Get moving and see what you can do.

Closed Thread