It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

holahanson HB User
Malaria Medicine?

I'm going to be in rural Costa Rica for 2 months and need to take medicine for Malaria. I saw on the CDC website that they recommend Choloquine but I read on a lot of places that many of the strands are becoming immune to that medicine. I'm going to visit a travel clinic but I have a feeling they are going to prescribe Choloquine to me.. does anyone know anything about other medicines, or Choloquine? I read somehwere that I should take Malarone or another medicine instead; I really have no idea but I don't want to take any chances w/ a medicine that might not work. Like I said I will be there for 8 weeks and will be outside, in the forests and on the beach for most of the day.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
(male)

synchronous HB User
Re: Malaria Medicine?

Hi I've been all over and have had almost all of them. Firstly I'm a terrible speller. Second Malarone works the best however it has some undesirable side effects. Such as nightmares, lucid dreaming, and paranoia. It especially does not agree with marijuana, if thats any issue. Daraprim is on the other end of the spectrum. It does not protect you nearly as well, but its only side effect is thirst/dry mouth. In the middle of these are some kind of tricycline, Otrhotrycycline is birth control I think but the drug was originally developed as an antibiotic. The antibiotic version works fairly well as a malaria prophylactic. After choosing a drug you will also need to get artesesunate. This is some kind of an Asian root that destroys the mitochondria of the malaria parasite. It works extremely well if you happen to catch the fever. If you can't find it here you can certainly get it at your destination. My favorite brand is from a company called DarphaPharma its dutch I think. There are Chinese brands but there are rumors that some of them are knock offs and can be dangerous.

I've had Malaria twice, and in my experience is its not very common to get it in urban areas contrary to common belief. Both times I was infected were in rural areas. Mosquito netting and spray are good ideas I suppose, but take your meds, wear pants and long sleeves in the evening, and enjoy yourself. Worrying about catching a fairly treatable disease are no way to enjoy a good trip.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
(male)

synchronous HB User

P.S. Try to get your hands on some cipro in case you get a stomach bug, but the only real cure for disintary is to keep eating and drinking as much as you can.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

holahanson HB User

Thank you for your reply!

I forgot to mention that I will be in a very rural area (national refuge...) and also, I will be working with leatherback turtles. When we are around them we cannot have any sort of bug spray on at all, as it is toxic to them. At home I will have a net and spray... where did you contact malaria?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
(male)

synchronous HB User

The first time in Benin, but I didn't have the fever until I came back to Ghana. The second time was in Ghana, but wasn't nearly as bad as the first. I had lived in Ghana for a year and never got sick aside from the usual travelers stomach bug, and the like. As soon as I left I went to Togo, Benin, and Nigeria. Thats when I became quite ill. In retrospect It wasn't really so bad and I would have put less emphasis on prophylaxis, and more on treatment and just generally taking care of myself. Such as less booze and more sleep, or just downtime in general. Its easy to get carried away in a new environment.

Closed Thread