It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
(male)

npro9b HB User
People Seem to be Allergic to Me...

This has been going on for several months, and its driving me nuts. When I go near people, they start to cough, sneeze, or continuously clear their throats. In crowded rooms its the worst. If I go into a room with 10 people, 2 or 3 would have an allergic reaction.

At first I thought it was the season, since a flu bug was going around not too long ago. But I started to notice that EVERYWHERE I went, after entering a room people would cough and sneeze, etc. I would even hear people wondering why they started coughing all of a sudden.

Then I thought it was my cologne, so I stopped using it. It wasnt the cologne. Then I thought perhaps its my hairspray, so I switched to using gel. It wasn't the hairspray. Now I am guessing it must be my clothes. They don't have a funny smell, and I can't see any mold on them, but perhaps its invisible mold spores??

I tried washing my clothes with Borax, even spraying them with Lysol, but people still keep coughing.

I can't see any visible mold or mildew in my room where I keep my clothes, and my room is a pretty dry area.

Does ANYONE have any idea what this could be? I have almost become a recluse, I am afraid to go out in public. This is the worst thing thats ever happened to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: People Seem to be Allergic to Me.....

what kind of laundry detergent do you use? Switch to a scent-free kind. I like the Tide brand that is perfume free. I am very sensitive to smells and will start getting sinus pain if I use any other kind.
Also think of other things, is your shampoo scented? your body wash? I knew someone who whenever I was around them, I would get an allergy attack not because of the BRAND of laundry detergent they use (well, sorta from that), but because they were using too much and you could smell it standing next to them. I mentioned it to him that he may be using too much (since we were good friends) and he cut back and I never had the problem again. Lots to think about.
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: People Seem to be Allergic to Me...

It might not be you at all! In a group of strangers, in a public place there are always a certain number of people who are going to be coughing, sneezing, clearing their throats, etc. I would suggest a little social experiment. Observe 10 people who are out of range of you "allergens". Count how many are blowing, sneezing, itching, coughing, clearing...you may find the number to be higher than you think. 2 or 3 people out of 10 seems pretty average.

Last edited by writeleft; 01-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Closed Thread