It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Samm10 HB User
Unhappy Please someone..help

I'm here because of my brother- he is 18. He has always been really overweight, last year he lost over 100 pounds in under 3 months.. without trying to and stayed eating like he always had. well about 8 months ago one day he woke up in pain and throwing up like crazy. but then later that day he was fine. after a few weeks of this happening he went to the doctors.

after SEVERAL test, the doctors have NO IDEA what is wrong D:

SO..
He lost alot of weight REALLY fast
Lots of pain
Throws up ALOT, with some blood
Blood in stool
Swollen lymphnoids(sp)
he goes ghost white
he will be freezing cold, yet sweating like hell

doctors thought he had different kinda cancers, but they tested him for the ones they thought; and NOTHING.

If you have ANY ideas, please reply.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,114
writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Please someone..help

I'm so sorry for your brother's medical issues. I would encourage you to help him by continuing to try to get some diagnosis. Try another doctor, don't give up!

One thing many of us on the boards have in common, is how we have had to keep scratching and clawing towards answers, when the first one wasnt enough.

Your brothers symptoms sound awful, and potentially serious. I would advise you not to give up until you get some answers.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1
nanc cnp HB User
Re: Please someone..help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm10 View Post
I'm here because of my brother- he is 18. He has always been really overweight, last year he lost over 100 pounds in under 3 months.. without trying to and stayed eating like he always had. well about 8 months ago one day he woke up in pain and throwing up like crazy. but then later that day he was fine. after a few weeks of this happening he went to the doctors.

after SEVERAL test, the doctors have NO IDEA what is wrong D:

SO..
He lost alot of weight REALLY fast
Lots of pain
Throws up ALOT, with some blood
Blood in stool
Swollen lymphnoids(sp)
he goes ghost white
he will be freezing cold, yet sweating like hell

doctors thought he had different kinda cancers, but they tested him for the ones they thought; and NOTHING.

If you have ANY ideas, please reply.
I would definitely get him into a gastroenterologist who should perform an EGD which means they will take a scope and go down the throat and scope all the way down and then they can go the other way and perform a colonoscopy and look that way. If that test has been done with negative results,get a second opinion. It sounds all gastric related- make sure a specialist is consulted.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Samm10 HB User
Re: Please someone..help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanc cnp View Post
I would definitely get him into a gastroenterologist who should perform an EGD which means they will take a scope and go down the throat and scope all the way down and then they can go the other way and perform a colonoscopy and look that way. If that test has been done with negative results,get a second opinion. It sounds all gastric related- make sure a specialist is consulted.
Those test where done, and they came up with nothing. :/
He is scared of doctors and all that jazz, so when they couldnt find anything- he gave up on it. and because he is 18 my mom cant force him to have anything else done :/

but this morning he woke up with everything going on again- for the first time in a month. and my mom just moved away from him two weeks ago- so she rushed back down to him to try an convince him to let more test be done.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ, United States
Posts: 1,471
caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User
Re: Please someone..help

when he has one of those spells, don't do anything but call 911 and let the hospital deal with it when he comes in.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,114
writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Please someone..help

Good idea... Prepare him in advance, that next itme his symptoms appear, that he will need to go right in. It sounds like the doctors will be much more able to diagnose his acute symptoms. You may have to help him set up a support system for when that time comes.

 
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Samm10 HB User
Re: Please someone..help

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Good idea... Prepare him in advance, that next itme his symptoms appear, that he will need to go right in. It sounds like the doctors will be much more able to diagnose his acute symptoms. You may have to help him set up a support system for when that time comes.

done that already :/

he was going thru it when me and him where just home..and im only 16 so i cant drive where i live so i called 911 and they did test an the doctors exact words: "We can't seem to find anything, he is a medical mystery". and that was the "second opinion"-my brother has seen several doctors/specialist at different hospitals.

 
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 733
SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Please someone..help

Sounds like Crohn's Disease!
My brother had stomach problems for YEARS. From the time he was very young, and we thought he just had a weak stomach (because he threw up a lot when he was little). And then he was okay for a while until he was in high school, and once in a while he would get really bad stomach pains that would either last a few hours or a whole day.
Then a few years ago, he suddenly lost 80 lbs in a couple of months, and then had this attack where he had stomach pains that were so bad that he actually started having spasms in his stomach. And he also developed a fever of 104. We rushed him to the hospital, and found that he had Crohn's Disease. He's been on medication since then, but he still has bad days (not as bad as that one attack, though), and there are a lot of things he can't eat.
Luckily, he saw a doctor in the ER who tested for it, but there are a lot of doctors who don't even think of testing for Crohn's, so people will go undiagnosed with it for a long time.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
addicted to Percocet Somebody please help me. lisa731 Addiction & Recovery 58 09-03-2011 07:50 PM
Arthroscopy procedure PLEASE HELP! yoga gal TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 75 02-25-2011 04:18 AM
Please help, my cure was my disease, need input/help calvindoyl Addiction & Recovery 4 07-17-2010 10:28 PM
How to get over it? Please someone help! Im going crazy! kdes Relationship Health 9 06-15-2010 05:04 PM
I'm scared I may have herpes. Someone please read & help. Scared2009 Herpes 29 11-07-2009 11:02 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sjb (77), SnowBunny2020 (76), ladybud (75), Titchou (66), JJ (53), janewhite1 (51), lenvegas (26), midwest1 (24), quincy (20), solofelix (19)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (943), Apollo123 (860), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (774), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!