It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

ARVD HB User
ARVD - What you need to know!

This post is for anyone who has or wants to know about ARVD.

ARVD, or Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia, is a rare disease found in only 1 of 10,000 Armericans. It is relatively new, only about 70 years old since the first 'official' case of it was discovered. Because of this, little is known about it. What is known is that it is genetic, and is a dominant gene, meaning that it is passed down nearly 100% of the time unless another gene that is dominant is passed instead of it,which is rare. People with ARVD have to be aware that the first sign of it can be Cardiac Arrest, leading to death. However, it is more common that it progresses in most children when they hit puberty. It has many symptoms, including shortness of breath, fainting, fast or irregular heartbeat when inactive, and mild or extreme pains in the right side of the chest. There are very few ways to deal with ARVD and no cures. One way is to go through with an ICD inplant and drugs, such as beta-blockers. Another way is to have a heart transplant, which will theoretically cure you, but not genetically. Keep in mind that the severity of this disease can vary from just being a carrier to having extreme issues with nearly all the symptoms. Please note that this disease should be known about, due to its ability to remain passive in generations and suddenly become active. I would advize anyone who has had 'unkown heart related deaths' in their families to look up on this disease, and start testing immediately should you show symptoms.

I have ARVD and an ICD, but no other major symptoms have occured.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: ARVD - What you need to know!

Thank you, I've never heard of that before. I'm going in for a heart check soon and I'll ask about this - there have been a few sudden cardiac deaths in my family. Thanks again . . .

Closed Thread