It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
(female)

loudmouthme HB User
death due to laparoscopic rectopexy -please guide

Are there any natural life-threatening conditions that may occur after laproscopic rectopexy?

My father underwent laproscopic rectopexy. He had ulcers in his rectum along with rectum prolapse problem. After the surgery, his condition became critical for some unknown reasons (this is what doctors said). They took him for open surgey 4 days after the first operation and a perforation was found in his sigmoid colon, which has already caused septicemia in his body and 1 ltr. of fecal material was removed from his abdomen. After this he was on ventillator for 8 days and then he expired. Doctors operated him on the basis on 3 year old colonoscopy report. What could be the cause of perforation ? Did Doctors burn a hole while they were opearting on him and couldnt detect it? can such opeartions cause death? we are in shock please suggest!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: death due to laparoscopic rectopexy -please guide

Loudmouthme,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss and for the circumstances that surround that loss. I hope and pray you have many you can rely on for support and understanding to get you through this difficult time and through the times ahead.

Doctors make mistakes all the time...some medical professionals have cited evidence that suggest doctor mistakes (specifically, medication errors) are one of the leading causes of death in this country. It is certainly very possible this devastating scenario was the result of a doctor's inexperience, incompetence, bad luck. For your own sake of mind, you may wish to investigate further. I have no experience in doing this but suggest you start somewhere else besides the medical provider...as much as I hate to say this, an attorney specializing in medical malpractice may know where to start. They should know how to go about pulling the necessary health records and know which consultants to use in reading the medical data...but I don't know. Perhaps someone else has some personal experience with this that they can share.

The term perferation was a little red flag for me...and if they did this surgery based on a 3 year old test (if I understand you correctly) would have been another little red flag.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

loudmouthme HB User

Thanks a lot!

Is there anyone else who can guide me a little more on this. I'm quite confused, dont know how to go about it! This is definately medical negligence, but what proofs do we require to prove our point in court?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's a terrible tragedy.

I don't know about the surgery he had, but I do know that whenever I've had any surgery, the papers I had to sign ahead of time always included something in there about possibility of perforation of anything in close proximity to where the surgery is being performed. While laproscopy is considered generally safer than traditional cutting open with a large incision, I think it stands to reason that anytime you have to guide instruments through small spaces inside a person's body, there's a possibility that something might get knicked or scraped or even punctured. I think that for the most part, they try to take great care in being as careful as possible, but unfortunately, sometimes they make mistakes. Also, unfortunately, if something goes wrong, majority of doctors/surgeons will deny any wrongdoing.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any other info, I'm just going by personal experience of what I remember reading in the release papers. But have you considered consulting with a malpractice attorney? If you feel you need to do so, then I think you should.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
(female)

loudmouthme HB User

Hi,

I think You are right that chances of perforation are there, thus it calls for higher degree of attention on part of doctors. If perforations are a common sight with laparoscopy, they should have confirmed there are no perforations before closing the opeartion. That's one thing. Now, unfortunately in our case perforation happened, what's more unfortunate is that doctors failed to detect it, despite our complaints that patient is feeling pain in abdomen, his abdomen is swelling and has become stone hard. He vomitted as well. Despite all this they took him for another surgery 4 days after the first one. During this 4 days gap, the fecal material assimilated with his blood and caused septicemia. Now, that's what u will call a MISTAKE?

Anyways, I found this rticle on net about Laparoscopic Rectopexy. Ita a very safe opeartion, here is the link [url]http://www.northumbria.nhs.uk/page.asp?id=243328[/url]

A minor surgey resulted in such an awful death. He was hale and hearty at the time of opeartion.

Last edited by loudmouthme; 02-04-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Loudmouth,

Just because you sign a waiver and other medical papers doesn't mean this should be dismissed. Again, I suggest you contact an attorney knowledgable in medical malpractice. They should know how to proceed.

Many attorneys offer a 1 hour consult free...you might consider calling several of them to see if they offer that service...you wouldn't necessarily have to hire them if you didn't want to, but they could at least make some suggestions as to whether you may have a viable case.

Bethsheba

Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

First of all I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Father last March. This was unexpected for you and it must be a terrible shock.

Was he overweight or high risk ? Was he advised he was high risk for this procedure? Perforation can always occur but it needs to check for before surgery is ended. Also are you sure it was not an anesthesia problem or another health problem? was an autopsy done?

I would sit down and write a journel of what you remember happening and what you were told so you do not forget anything. I would contact a Malpractice Attorney and see what he says..

The lawyer can tell you what to do and will get all the records and review them.

Good luck and once again I am so sorry... Oleander

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

loudmouthme, I'm very sorry about the lose of your father. The suddenness and unexpectedness of it, especially with the questions about whether he was treated properly must make it that much more difficult.

I agree with the other poster who suggested consulting an attorney who has some experience with medical malpractice suits. An attorney will be the best person to answer your questions; plus he or she will provide a non-emotional perspective to the situation.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
...I would sit down and write a journel of what you remember happening and what you were told so you do not forget anything....
Yes, and do it now, whenever you remember something, and whenever something new occurs...documentation is very important.

Bethsheba

Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
(female)

loudmouthme HB User

hi...i have the case chronology with me...

and yes he was nt overweight, niether he was on high risk. we considered this surgery thinking we could avert a potential risk, if we get it done at the right time. Moreover, it was not autopsy, it was a laparoscopic operation. next, like u mentioned about anesthesia. those tests were done on him 1 week before the surgery and he was not allergic to anesthesia. What added to the complications was first, the perforation, second, the failure to detect it, third, the delay in correcting it. one litre of fecal material that they removed from his abdomen had caused septicemia.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-06-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: use private messaging and emails in profiles for off board contact

Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
(female)

loudmouthme HB User

thanks everyone 4 ur guidance. I have been talking to lawyers and hopefully i will file a case soon!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Loudmouth,

Thanks for letting us know what's happening...wish you the best.

Closed Thread