It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
(female)

jme18 HB User
Really freaked out...

Hello,
I am a 30 year old woman, somewhat overweight (I am 5'11" and I weigh 180lbs), and I have been having a whole list of health issues that have left me feeling frustrated, confused, worried, and depressed. I will just list my symptoms below and hopefully someone can provide some feedback that may give me an idea as to what in the heck is going on with me. Before I do so, you should know that I have been tested for a Thyroid problem, and a Kidney problem and both tests came back fine. To be honest I was hoping it WAS a Thyroid problem, because at least I would have had an answer.

My symptoms-
1-Floaters in vision ALL the time and lots of them (started about a year ago out of nowhere). I can see and everything, but it's really annoying.
2-Reoccuring (horrible) pains in my chest on the left side over my heart, but it seems to be triggered with certain movements, lack of sleep, and by stormy weather. Right before a big storm or before it rains, the pain sometimes gets so bad I feel like I'm having a heart attack.
3-My nails have gotten strange... they have these lines in them that were never there before (not lines that go width-wise, they go from top to bottom).
4- My hair suddenly, totally out of nowhere, got REALLY dry, and although you would not know it by looking at me, SO much of it falls out when I run my fingers through it, and when I brush it. I NEVER had ANY problems with my hair in all my life, and now all I have to do is run my fingers through it and strand after strand comes out. I'm not balding or anything, and while YES my hair DOES appear thinner, you really wouldn't know it by looking at me... but it's really scary.
5-My skin seems very pale, dark circles under my eyes (but I should note I hardly ever sleep at night, and don't see much daylight at all).
6-If I go up about 3 small flights of stairs my heart beats SO hard and SO fast, and I get terribly winded. I asked a doctor about this and he said, it's because I never excersise (which I don't) and he said it's also due to beling slightly overweight, and my smoking (1 pack a day... I know and I swear I am trying to quit). I don't ever drink any alcohol, I do no drugs at all... it's just these damn cigs, and I am really working on quitting.
7-My skin feels very dry and itchy, mostly on my legs and arms.
8-Every so often I notice what feels like small and very faint, yet noticable eletric shock waves on only the left side of my face on my cheek. It's not a numbness... it's really just this very faint but noticable feeling of electric shock.
9-I get VERY winded from small amounts of excersise (but once again, I RARELY ever do *shame on me, I know*)
10- If I sit indian style my legs go REALLY numb REALLY quickly, and when I go to get back up or stand, it actually hurts until the blood gets flowing in my legs again.
11-Sometimes when turning my head to the side really quickly, I feel slightly nautious. *NOTE*... I had a BAD case of vertigo about 6 months ago that came with food poisoning, and it's almost as if 99.9999% went away but thanks to these occasional cases if hasn't fully.*

I know that's a lot of odd and unique symptoms, and I'm sorry to babble on, but I've tried so hard to get to the bottom of what my issue is, and the 3 doctors I have seen all tell me, "you're fine, just out of shape." I find that really hard to believe. I'm terrified to excersise thanks to out TOTALLY out of my chest my heart gets so quickly, and I hear about way too many cases of doctors missing things to take chances. My blood pressure has been checked and it seems fine, I've had EKG's which all came back fine, my kidneys and thyroid were both tested and fine... and I am just really tired of hearing, "it's anxiety" or "your just out of shape". If that's REALLY the case then fine... but being out of shape really effect your nails, and your hair? I have no medical insurance and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
(female)

jme18 HB User
Re: Really freaked out...

I also forgot one very important symptom... I have almost completely lost my appetite. I eat once maybe twice a day... it began about 2 months ago... my appetite, which was always healthy, is just about totally gone.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-06-2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: non-professional sharing only

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Many symptoms that you are experiencing are those of Lyme disease...the electric shocks are classic symptoms as is the vertigo and loss of appetite.

Few doctors are knowledgable or experienced enough to diagnose Lyme....and Lyme is difficult to diagnose!! Lyme can be treated with antibiotics and if treatment is begun soon enough, permenant damage can be avoided.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
(female)

jme18 HB User

Thank you very much for that reply, but don't you have to have a ring on your skin to have Lyme disease? Thanks again so much!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Just a note of caution, A LOT of doctors tell people their thyroid is fine, when in fact their thyroid hormones are low or high. The doctors only care whether you are within range and dont work with your symptoms at all. Most doctors only test the TSH, if you are lucky the odd doctor might check your T4 and T3, none of them do your thyroid antibodies unless your TSH is off the scale.

One person could have their thyroid hormone levels slightly out and feel massive symptoms while another wont. It's a very individual thing and depends on what else is going on, eg: low ferretin, low Vit D, low B12, excess estrogen and testosterone, insufficient progesterone. It took me 8 years to find someone who would take me seriously and now i'm finally getting treatment.

bethsheba could be right, it could be lyme, but i just wanted to caution you regarding thyroid issues and how majority of doctors treat thyroid labs, particularly as you have said that your thyroid has been tested.

Hoping you find some answers soon. It's never nice being in the dark, knowing something is wrong, but not knowing what and not enough competent doctors who have the time or who care enough to try and help you. You take care

Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme18 View Post
Thank you very much for that reply, but don't you have to have a ring on your skin to have Lyme disease? Thanks again so much!
Not at all, and actually some think that most people don't get a rash, at least less than 50 percent of the identified cases don't... keep in mind that lyme can be transmitted in other ways than the bite of a tick...before birth, theortetically transfusions (although this has not as yet been proven), sexual contact, and insects other than ticks.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
...., but i just wanted to caution you regarding thyroid issues and how majority of doctors treat thyroid labs, particularly as you have said that your thyroid has been tested....
Yes, I agree although I will point out that thyroid problems, like Hashimoto's, are very, very common among Lymies and could be considered one more symptom of Lyme. An "Advanced Search" (in the bar at the top of this page) with the keywords "Hashimoto's" or "thyroid" on the lyme boards may give you an idea of how many lymies have these symptoms.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-07-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

jme18 HB User

You are all so great! Thank you all so much for being so kind to take the time to reply. It was all very insightful. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jme,

Take care, jme....and keep in mind these are just suggestions. We are not health care professionals and we can't diagnose....BUT we have learned some things in the search for our answers. I've learned the following:

1. Get more than 2 opinions.
2. Don't believe anything you are told unless you check it out first.
3. Doctors don't know everything and even if they did, they make mistakes.
4. Tests can't screen for everything, and the reliability of things they can screen for varies...and results are subject to interpretation.
5. Listen to your body!!! You've been living with it all of your life and chances are it knows more than you and your doctor give it credit for knowing.

Take care and best of health to you. Please share what you learn with us when you can as we all benefit from the wealth of knowledge on these boards.

Bethsheba

Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Jme! I hope you are feeling better. It sounds like Thyroid disorder to me. I would definately get more than one opinion. It's no fun spending your life like this. I suffered for months before I finally got tested. I was relieved to find out I wasn't imagining things and to get on a med and start feeling better. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme18 View Post
don't you have to have a ring on your skin to have Lyme disease?
No.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
(female)

22dreams HB User

Hi,

Just to add the mix: I agree with the contributions by Bethsheba, Audrey and Tedds.

I have LYME DISEASE and Hashimoto's (thyroid disease).

and your symptoms sound similar to my laundry list.
The electric shocks really spank of lyme.

Both Lyme and Thyroid disease are really CLINICAL diagnoses.

The conventional tests used for both are SO substandard, in fact, they often do more harm than good.

Definitely check out the lyme boards to find a Lyme-literate doctor.
I have found that most LLMDs are up-to-snuff on thyroid as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
(female)

jme18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dreams View Post
Hi,

Thank you very much for replying. I'm def doing my best to figure out what the deal is, and I'm glad to have an idea of what questions to be asking now. Thanks so much!

Just to add the mix: I agree with the contributions by Bethsheba, Audrey and Tedds.

I have LYME DISEASE and Hashimoto's (thyroid disease).

and your symptoms sound similar to my laundry list.
The electric shocks really spank of lyme.

Both Lyme and Thyroid disease are really CLINICAL diagnoses.

The conventional tests used for both are SO substandard, in fact, they often do more harm than good.

Definitely check out the lyme boards to find a Lyme-literate doctor.
I have found that most LLMDs are up-to-snuff on thyroid as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
(male)

mp1355 HB User

Hi i am a full time student in Texas and never had any health problems till i was 17. I had 3 lung surgeries in 2005 and was doing perfectly fine up until the beginning of jan. On the 3rd i suddenly had this attack of nervousness and some cramping. I was at the movies and had alot of sugar but my blood sugar levels were normal. i know this because i got to my gf's house and my chest starting hurting followed with diziness and fast heavy heart beat. I told them to call the ambulance give me some aspirin and i layed down and prayed for the best. when they got there everything seemed fine besides my shaking and nervousness blood sugar was normal and i am not diabetic. the next few days go by and i feel very strange i have a numbness in my left arm and pretty wierd headaches with tightness in the chest. These symptoms steadily got worse untill the past few weeks when i threw up everytime i had a big meal. It seemed it was the only thing that made me feel better but only momentarly. Every time before i threw up i got really nervous my heart beat shot up to probly 110-120 bpm.

I have visited my doctor and he thinks its stress and anxiety as does my couselor/therapist. This happens every day and im sure its not. I have had multiple EKG's (think thats what they are called) done and they seem pretty normal tho i have developed a slight murmur variance which they do not see as a threat. I just had a endoscopy done the other day and found out i have slight reflux and a 1 cm hiatus hernia. I have changed my eating habits and i am more healthy but my real symptoms have not gone away. This is getting so bad its cutting into my school work and im already behind. I NEED HELP.

My symptoms that concern me are as follows:

Diziness
Partial numbness throughout the left side of my body
constant headaches
very light breathing
sore throat (mainly on the left side)
noticeable heartrate (can feel it down into my stomach and heavy on my chest)
occasional pain in the chest in the middle of the left peck (might be related to my spont numo thorax *cant spell i know*)

Most of these occur at night before i sleep and paranoia happens whenever i am alone. I kind of think im going crazy and dont want to have to come to terms with that. My head is constantly burning and my veins feel like the are on fire(in my head). Also my gastrologist gave me some anit depresent medication to help me calm down my pain and help me sleep but the other night it made me go crazy thinking my heartbeat was about to stop. i got up threw up and had tremors for about 3 hours. I only took 10mg and it was a substitute for Celexa called Citalopram. after 4 hours i feel sleep fine.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE i would appreciate it. Doctors seem to be giving up and im going to anyone that i can find. I am going to see a cardiologist this week and have alot of blood work done.

on a side note my father did pass away in 2007 at 55 of a sudden heart attack. his funeral was on the 3rd of jan coincedently but has nothing to do with how i am feeling. I am very mature and at peace with what happened, its only natural that these things happen. I didnt think about it because it was also 4 years for me and my gf that day so i completely forgot that it was my fathers funeral day as well. i have always been head strong and very strong willed and focused. These symptoms will not go away no matter how hard i try to get ahold of myself.

Im searching very hard to find what is wrong i hope someone can help me.

Thanks alot.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi mp, I feel bad for you. I really do. I think you may be suffering from panic and anxiety disorder. I have it too. It can bring on alot of different symptoms. Try to think of ways you can deal with this. Ways to relax.

Closed Thread