It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

KDD 26 HB User
To Much Benefiber?

Hi all

I have IBS and around the end of last year the consipation started to become unbearably. I did some research and saw that adding fiber to your diet can help with that. I went to the store, bought some Benefiber, and haven't looked back. After about a week my bowel movements started to become more like they were before the IBS. I still get the occasional constipation, but it is nothing like before.

My question is: is it bad to take benefiber everyday? I have been taking it since the end of last year and using is everyday. My mother has been commenting that I should only use it when I need it. The thing is if I stop taking it I am going to go back to that horrible constipation.

Thanks
KDD

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
(female)

NoRelief HB User
Re: To Much Benefiber?

No, Benefiber is fine. It can be taken everyday. It is not a laxative and so is not a stimulant. It is just a form of fibre.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You should try to add some fiber from eating fruits and vegetables also, in addition to the benefiber. Benefiber isn't a subsitution for a balanced diet. That may be what your mother is alluding to.

I would suggest using the fieber as a suppliment to your diet that is rich in fiber full veggies and fruits and breads.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Benefiber is not habit forming. Many people use it every day long term.

But how much fiber do you get from the food you eat? If you are relying on Benefiber to get most of it, I agree with the other poster that it would be good to get as much as possible from veggies and fruits. Legumes are also good. Personally, I find whole grains, especially wheat, irritating, so I don't agree about bread.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Cool Re: To Much Benefiber?

If it's doing the trick keep it up!! It's not habit forming and it's making you more regular so go for it .....

Closed Thread