It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

SteveoM26 HB User
Tongue / inside of mouth crewing and biting...HELP...

How can I stop biting my tongue? I mean literally biting my tongue until it bleeds. Why do I do this?

I started biting my inner cheeks about 10 years ago (16 or so), then I switched to biting my tongue about 6 months to a year ago.

I'll do it absentmindedly: at work, while driving, watching a movie, everywhere BUT when Im sleeping.

Sometimes I'll focus on it, trying to find that perfect spot on my tongue for my teeth to grab. I'm not really conscious of the fact that I'm biting my tongue again but it's more like I'm just intensely focused on the precision of the practice.

Sometimes I'm able to catch myself doing it, and I stop. Sometimes I catch myself doing it and I just try harder to find that spot to bite. I'll do this until my tongue bleeds or is swells up and hurts so much, I cant eat...

I don’t do drugs, not on any medications, not a heavy drinker (one beer a night), my diet it good, I jog regularity.... I am at a loss.

What's the best way to finally stop doing this to myself? I drives me nuts... but I cant stop doing it.

I just registered my account today, so if I have posted this in the wrong section please let me know and I will remove and repost. I just need an answer as to how I curb this fixation.

Last edited by SteveoM26; 02-16-2009 at 04:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveoM26 For This Useful Post:
MrsCrimble (02-22-2012)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Tongue / inside of mouth crewing and biting...HELP...

It could be a form of obsessive compulsive disorder or motor tic disorder, both can be successfully treated with cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and/or medication. You mention it started when you were 16, did it begin after a sore throat or cold?

Impulse control disorders are also considered part of the OCD "spectrum". Trichotillomania (hair pulling) and skin picking or skin eating (dermatophagia) are in this category. Hair pullers often have other habits like finger biting and cheek chewing, you might find more info under trichotillomania simply because it's more well known. Treatment is similar to OCD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
(male)

SteveoM26 HB User

Im kind of ashamed to admit it, but although I can honestly say that I am not a hiar puller. I wouldnt be able to say the same for nail biting or nawing at the surounding skin along the finger tips and sides. As long as I can remember, I have always bitten my nails. Do you think it may have all started from the nail bitting?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Possibly, seems to me to be the same mood altering behavior, just a different body part.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It sounds to me like AuntieLeela is giving you some good advice. If you feel she is on the right track, you should certainly seek medical assistance.

In addition, you might also talk to your dentist about this. He may be able to give you a bite guard to help prevent the damage caused by the biting and chewing.

I have nocturnal bruxism. I was grinding my teeth and biting the inside of my cheek at night. I've worn a guard for about 6 years now. While I still bite some, I don't have as much damage. My guard is larger, but last time I went to my dentist, he was telling me about a newer smaller guard that he has been having success with.

By the way, the guard is custom made and is tailored to your bite. It will also help teach your mouth and guard what the proper positioning of your bite should be.

Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
(female)

raymondmm HB User

Mountain Reader, this tongue guard that you talk about, can you crew and eat while wearing it?

Closed Thread