It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

Minicat HB User
After effects of pneumonia?

A couple days after New Years I came down with laryngitis which Urgent Care told me was just a virus in me that had to run it's course. Was difficult to breathe and my chest was hurting. Two weeks later I was coughing up horrible green junk, and had that awful rattlely wet breathing. The rest of me felt fine though, was all in my chest-except for my hearing was out of whack, it felt like I had a heavy wet towel wrapped around my head. I went to my doctor, diagnosed that I had pneumonia in my right lung, and put me on Levaquin for 10 days + an inhalor with a starter attached. She told me that within 24 hours of the first dose I'd be feeling a million times better. I took the first dose at 7pm, and at 1am I had a stroke (have had many, they don't really affect me) in which I vomited-so not positive if the first dose fully made it into my system. Three days into the meds I still hadn't improved, but by the fifth day I could feel my lungs dry up a bit. With two days of my prescription left, my roommate was diagnosed with bronchitis and also put on Levaquin. Fast forward a few days and the stuff I was coughing up was back to clear, and was breathing w/o wheezing. Less than a week later I'm so congested I can barely breathe, blowing my nose constantly, coughing up green stuff, and I've started throwing up 5+ times a day b/c the mucus behind my throat is gagging me. I can also (ew) taste the same taste as when I was diagnosed with the pneumonia. My hearing was so bad that I went back to my doctor to be checked for an ear infection right when I just started coughing stuff up again, I voiced my concern about vomiting so much and what I was coughing up-and she told me it was risidual. She directed me to take Sudafed, Afrin, and Benedril. All great for an hour or so of relief but that's all. Just today I've started coughing quite a bit and wheezing and I'm hoping for a little light at the end of this tunnel.

So my questions/concerns are. .
-Since I was assured by Urgent Care that I just had a silly 'ol virus, and didn't get diagnosed sooner with pneumonia, did it just build more and therefore I should have been on the Levaquin longer?

-Was I cured of the pneumonia but caught bronchitis from my roommate? Such similiar symptoms.

-Are these just normal after effects of pneumonia and this'll all go away?

Big apologies for the wall of text

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: After effects of pneumonia?

It sounds like the pneumonia didn't go away and you need another round of antibiotics and this time I do hope someone takes an xray of your lungs to determine the extent.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I agree with Ann, You need more antibiotics. You have never gotten over the pneumonia to start with. You should have x-rays of your lungs to see how they look.

And you don't get bronchitus from roommates.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Sorry you are going through this Minicat. The stuff that is going around is nasty. I have been in bed for 6 days with a real nasty cold/flu. The worst one of my life. This one hit my husband and I out of nowhere. He has bounced back better than I have. I am on antibiotics, for 3 days now. I hope one round will get it. But lately people are having to go on 2 or 3 rounds to lick things. Every muscle in my body aches and hurts, my throat hurts, my head is stuffy...I am just worried because I don't know how long the flu/cold is suppose to last. I have been to the doctor 2 times this week just to have her check on me.

I hope you are over your pneumonia...but if you are feeling bad still I definately would get some more antibiotics or even a picture of your lungs again so you know if things are getting better. Good luck to you! God Bless! Keep us posted.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

You need to have a chest xray to make sure you still don't have pneumonia sure sounds like you do. Often one doe of a antibiotic doesn;t always clear it up.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

sounds like what happened is you had a virus that was pretty bad but then turned into pneumonia, so it wasn't necessarily a missed diagnosis. It's possible your roomate has caught a similar virus but they are putting her on antibiotics just in case. Another possibility is both of you have caught a different virus with similar chest symptoms causing you to not feel any better. In either case definitely get a follow up chest x-ray. If it's clear, then unfortunately you just need to ride it out as it takes its course.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

Minicat HB User

Thank you all very much for your replies. Slipping back into all the early symptoms I had when the pneumonia started to develop, so riding it out 'til Monday when the clinic opens.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am so sorry that you are slipping back into earlier symptoms. It's so frustrating! I am really upset that I can't get over my virus. It has been one week now for me. The antibiotics are working. Thank God! My throat feels almost completely better. And I barely cough. But on the other side of the coin I am still very weak. I went to get some groceries with my husband and was so exhausted by the time we finished. I just wanted to get back home and sit in my chair with my heating pad. Antibiotics make me feel BAD! But I just have to take them to deal with this crud. But they make me tired and rip me up. I spend half my day in the bathroom. Man I just can't win!!!

I hope that you get right in to the doctor tomorrow and get on top of this. Make them give you plenty! They should have done that in the first place if you have walking pneumonia. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Closed Thread