It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User
Question Thirsty, swollen stomach and tired

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help with something Iím worried about.

For about a week my stomach has been swelling up, now it is almost twice the size it usually is. I am not a big eater and I am quite slim normally, I have increased what I have been eating lately but not enough to warrant the increase in my size. I am also constantly thirsty, I would say I have more than doubled what I would normally drink in a day. The tiredness is something I have really noticed over the last week, normally I do not need much sleep at all, sometimes only a few hours, but at the moment I can not get enough sleep, on Saturday I practically slept all day, really unlike me.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Iím worried about going to my doctor, I donít have much luck with them. There is no way I could be pregnant btw.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
(male)

pjs009 HB User
Re: Thirsty, swollen stomach and tired

What is your past medical history like? Are you taking any medications? How old are you?
Has your diet changed recently? Have you been less active for some reason, maybe because of an injury?
Do you drink alcohol? If so how much alcohol do you drink in a week/day?
Do you have a history of liver disease? Hepatitis?
Do you have any heart conditions? Are you having any chest pain? Are you having pain in any part of your abdomen?
Are you urinating more often? Do you notice a change in your urine or stool?

Last edited by pjs009; 02-24-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

Thanks for your reply, Iíll try and answer your questions

What is your past medical history like? Are you taking any medications? Iíve had problems with my lungs and chest before. I was in hospital about 3 years ago with pleurisy and chest wall pain, I was on medication and pain relief for about 2 years after this, but stopped taking it completely about 6 months ago. Iím not on any medication now. I still get chest pains, mainly from my ribs on my left side, from time to time but its getting better.
How old are you? 35
Has your diet changed recently?
Yes, I donít eat a lot, but I have had an increase in my appetite lately, this has now stopped again and I am not hungry, just a raging thirst which never seems to go away.
Have you been less active for some reason, maybe because of an injury? No, Iím generally not that active because my ribs hurt if I try to do too much.
Do you drink alcohol? If so how much alcohol do you drink in a week/day? No, not really, maybe a glass of wine a week
Do you have a history of liver disease? Hepatitis? no
Do you have any heart conditions? No
Are you having any chest pain? Nothing in addition to what I normally get
Are you having pain in any part of your abdomen? No not really, its just getting really uncomfortable, I feel like Iím growing by the day!
Are you urinating more often? Yes, but I am drinking a lot!
Do you notice a change in your urine or stool? This is difficult to answer, because when I began to realise my stomach was growing I thought I might be bloated or constipated, so I took some laxatives, because of this is it difficult to say whether this has changed naturally or not?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Thrist may be a symptom of diabetes, best to get checked.

Increase in abdomen could be due to a fast growing tumor.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Mrs Smith,

Any changes since yesterday? Did they tell you what was causing your pleuritic chest pain? They must have figured something out - rib fracture? pneumonia? pneumothorax? masses/lesions in rib cage or pleural space .. anything like that. Do you smoke? If so how much? Do you notice any distended veins showing on your stomache? Any changes in your complexion? Facial hair? Any changes in mood? Any pain when you touch certain parts of your stomach? And when you say that you couldn't be pregnant, do you mean you have not had sex since your last menstrual period, or that you did but you just used protection?

I have a few ideas. You don't have to answer all those questions, only ones that you would answer yes too in some way.

Last edited by pjs009; 02-25-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

Thanks again for replying.

Yes, some changes, my thirst has increased more, I am now drinking constantly, I also over slept this morning by an hour and am still feeling tired and a bit dizzy.

Someone else has mentioned diabetes so I have brought a home test which I am going to do later on today.

My stomach is still very swollen.

I know I am not pregnant because I havenít had sex, for about a year actually. But my periods have been irregular for a couple of months or so, and I have skipped this month completely. I am also getting very hot at night in bed so wondered if I might be going through the change?

I donít smoke since my lung problem, I used to smoke about 20 a day before that. Iíve never had a conclusive diagnosis for my rib/chest pain, despite having many tests and xrays etc. I did have pneumonia as well at the time.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smith View Post
Thanks again for replying.
Someone else has mentioned diabetes so I have brought a home test which I am going to do later on today.
Well it appears the test is normal, so its not that.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Mrs Smith,

It doesn't seem to be a liver problem, heart or lung problem. I'm thinking Diabetes Insipidus, kidney problem, or some sort of malabsorption problem. Diabetes mellitus (mellitus means sweet, and refers to sugar diabetes) is what you tested yourself for. Diabetes insipidus (insipidus means bland, no sugar) refers to a hormonal problem. Obviously I'm not sure what you have, but I am leaning towards diabetes insipidus or some other hormonal imbalance, especially since you're menstrual cycle has been irregular. Mrs Smith you have to see a doctor, there is no way you can manage the problem by yourself, you simply don't have access to the correct medications, or the correct tests to confirm a diagnosis. The other reason to see a doc is that it may be a much simpler problem. If you can't see a doctor within a day or two, go to the emergency room. Please write back after you see a doctor.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

Thank you for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

I went to the doctor today and as I suspected it was a waste of time. He just said I probably had some sort of virus! and it would get better in a week or two. He has sent me for some routine blood tests, which is not until Tuesday next week, then a further 10 days for the results. He checked my urine for diabetes but said it was ok.

I guess I will just wait and see what happens, but I know I am not right, I am so tired that I canít even work properly and the thirst is getting unmanageable.

Oh well carry on regardless.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Did you get any bloodwork back? Any changes?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

Unfortunately I had to cancel my appointment on Tuesday because I was too ill to go! I have been today though and the results should be back by the end of next week. Iím still tried and thirsty and it is really getting me down. I went back to the doctors yesterday because Iím worried, my stomach is still swollen, but she was even more unhelpful saying that until the blood test results are back there is nothing she could do!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with this problem. Hopefully the blood work will shed some light on the problem. I look forward to hearing about the results.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
(male)

pjs009 HB User

You get those results back?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

No not yet, I phoned today to check but they had nothing yet

Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
(female)

Mrs Smith HB User

There is problem with the test results. Iíve received a letter saying I need to make an appointment to see the doctor. I have phoned the surgery but they will not discuss it with me, great! Now I will worry about it all weekend! Iíve made an appointment for Monday morning

Closed Thread