It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
(male)

greatbrain HB User
what happen if you have albumin in your urine?

what happen if you have albumin in your urine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: what happen if you have albumin in your urine?

It's called albuminuria and it means your kidneys are being damaged. Albumin is a type of protein, if you have other proteins in your urine as well it's called proteinuria and may indicate something more serious than just albuminuria.

It's often the first sign of diabetic kidney disease. Other things that can cause albuminuria are kidney disease (like nephritis), high blood pressure, infection and strenuous exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
It's called albuminuria and it means your kidneys are being damaged. Albumin is a type of protein, if you have other proteins in your urine as well it's called proteinuria and may indicate something more serious than just albuminuria.

It's often the first sign of diabetic kidney disease. Other things that can cause albuminuria are kidney disease (like nephritis), high blood pressure, infection and strenuous exercise.
That's incorrect. There can be albumin in urine without kidney damage. BUN and creatinine levels are the gold standard for kidney problems; albumin in urine can be caused by a lot of different things.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benit View Post
albumin in urine can be caused by a lot of different things.
Such as what for example?

I been trying to find similar info and I found that 'albumin is a strong predictor of health- low albumin is a sign of poor health & a predictor of a bad outcome' would you agree or disagree?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

There are many causes of protein being found in urine, including temporary situations like medications that are hard on the kidneys, strenuous exercise, severe dehydration or infection. And correctable conditions (if you catch it early) like high blood pressure and diabetes.

Albumin is too big a protein to pass through a healthy kidney. If you're urinating protein (even microalbuminia) your kidneys are in the process of being damaged. I'm not saying this is irreversible, just that your kidney function is being negatively effected by something. It's up to your doctor to find out what.

[url]http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/patients/kidney_disease_testing.htm[/url]

Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
(male)

siddhartha HB User

I think Benit is right here, I have high albumin levels in my blood and urine, but low creatinine and my urologist says my kidneys are fine, but he's still trying to figure out what's wrong. That's interestinig that you say severe dehydration Leela, because I always seem to be thirsty, dry mouth and dehydrated all the time, what is the correlation with this and high protein?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Here's what mine came to in my test 8 months ago:

..............in range.....out of range.....reference range
Albumin............5.0.................. ...3.6-5.1 g/dL
Globulin............2.3................. ....2.1-3.7 g/dL (calc)
Albumin/Globulin ratio.......2.2 H...........1.0-2.1 (calc)

The doctor did not bring this up or tell me anything was wrong. I have had foamy urine off-and-on for a few years now.

Is an albumin level of 5.0 considered "microalbuminuria"?

Last edited by Benit; 03-07-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Closed Thread