It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
leg cramps at night

I have been having trouble with cramps in my calf muscles at night recently.
Apart from being 66, slightly diabetic, I am in good health and exercise moderately. Some say that I may be deficient in Potassium but according to a test last November my blood potassium is at the upper level of normal.
Can anyone help?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

polkaadot HB User
Re: leg cramps at night

hmm could also be related to low magnesium and/or calcium as well. have you had any blood tests done op rule it out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i agree, magnesium could also be the other possible culprit here. just wondering tho,when you had that last blood draw? were these cramps there then or did they develop after? it's just ALOT can change in four months,ya know? while potassium can affect muscles, magnesium deficiency can cause even bigger issues with our muscles too. i would see your doc and have everything checked again,including your mag levels. my son,while going thru liver failure back in 99-2000,kept having BIG problems with low mag and low potassium. the low mag casued some much bigger effects on his muscles than the low potassium did. just some info for ya. but do get these rechecked soon. good luck and please keep us posted, FB

Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

polkaadot HB User

i used to have REALLY bad , like SEVERE leg cramps randomly during the day -very unpredictable! and basically every single night my lower legs and feet used to hurt so much from the cramps. cause that was when i was deficient in calcium , vit D and magnesium alltogether.

that was about 2 yrs ago and i'm def fine now. but yah so it could be your calcium and magnesium too

Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Strangely, the problem seems to have cured itself, I have had no problems for a week or so. I will get my Mg and Ca levels checked, however, as a precaution, as the problem has a habit of recurring from time to time.
Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread