It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Grapefruit for IBS

I eat a half a grapefruit every evening. I find it helps my digestion A LOT (my IBS symptoms are all but gone), and isn't too heavy at all. I put a bit of splenda on it to sweeten it up a bit.

The bright red grapefruit is the best. I eat a half of a large one.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-08-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Blkqwn7 HB User
Re: what fruits are good in night

Wow, I was just diagnosed with IBS and make it so bad I am perimenopausal and the IBS is causing me to become ill each month during my menstrual! Crazy I know if I make it through this in one piece nothing can phase me after this! lol

I am going to try that grapefruit and thank you for the information. Besides how could you go wrong with grapefruit it is healthy for your heart and a good fruit!

Question though where did you learn that grapefruit is good for diminishing IBS symptoms?

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-07-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

It is well-known that grapefruit seed extract helps with digestive issues...so it wouldn't surprise me that grapefruit itself, offers a similar benefit. Personally, I can't tolerate grapefruit (I don't like the texture of it), but I have been experimenting with GSE (grapefruit seed extract) for my IBS symptoms. I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I've only been taking it for a few days, so I probably need to give it more time.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I didn't hear it anywhere, actually. I found it completely by accident. I was attempting to lose weight and my mom had mentioned grapefruit was great because it will help cut appetite. I'm also diabetic and love citrus and after some fact checking I found out it has a pretty low carb value so it wouldn't affect my sugars a lot. I also had heard it's a good way to flush your system out of toxins (which is why you can't eat it when you're on certain meds because it flushes the medication out of your system), so I thought what the heck?

Anyway, I've been having a pretty bad attack since Christmas. Constipation every day a long with a lot of pain in my lower back because of spasms. Everything made it worse (including flax and tons of water and I had given up red meat, dairy, sweeteners, etc... nothing helped!). But, the morning after I had the grapefruit in the evening my attack just went away. It's been a month or so, but every day I have a great bowel movement that seems to "clean me out" (I know TMI!) and I've never felt this great for so long (usually I'll have a great few days and go back to being constipated and miserable).

I find the ruby red ones are the best. The pink ones are ok, but taste-wise and action wise, the red ones are amazing. If you can tolerate a bit of splenda, put a few sprinkles on top for a bit of sweetness.

Oh I did some internet research on grapefruit and IBS, and the only thing I could find was how grapefruit seed oil/extract can help. I'm assuming if the seed oil can help then the grapefruit can't hurt! I'm going to try some of the oil for an extra boost.

I know what works for some might not work for others, but I really hope this helps you as I know the misery IBS (esp with constipation) can cause!

Closed Thread