It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
(female)

Ally316 HB User
Why am I falling apart at the age of 23?

I am a 23 year old who has been diabetic since I was six. In the last two years I have incurred two torn rotator cuffs, two torn meniscus' and severe carpal tunnel in both of my hands. Everything started two years ago when I originally tore my right meniscus. After having surgery I started have bone pain in other parts of my body such as my shoulders, arms, legs and knees. We did bone scans, MRI's and xrays along with multiple blood workups. As the pain moved from one spot to another we found out we had the tears in both knees and then in both rotator cuffs. We even went to Mayo Clinic and they ruled out arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, bone cysts and many other things. We are looking for an answer as to why I am only 23 and literally falling apart beyond the tears themselves. There has been no accidents or injuries that have happened that would be a normal cause as to why this would be happening. We are just frustrated after going to doctor after doctor and not getting any answers. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or any other kind of help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
(male)

greengrass HB User
Re: Why am I falling apart at the age of 23?

Hi Ally

I am so sorry to hear that at the age of 23 you are falling appart. You say they have done many test but not found any reason for this.

As you are a diabetic have they looked at the long term effects of the medicine you are currently using. I don't know if you are type 1 or type 2 but you should have a discussion with your care team about the type or brand of insulin you take this could shed light on the situation. Remember don't change anything unless you doctor says so.

I hope you find a solution to the problem and get the quality of life you deserve. Don't give up and wishing you all the best.

Greengrass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Are you taking any other meds?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

Ally316 HB User

I am currently on a few medications. They are:

methadone for pain
lexapro for depression
gabapentin for carpal tunnel
promethazine for nausea
insulin pump for diabetes
birth contorl

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
(male)

pjs009 HB User

How did you get these tears? Sports? Lifting? Were they muscle tears? Ligaments? Tendons?

I agree with the previous poster. Insulin itself can have a pro-inflammatory effect on the body. Perhaps the inflammation was weakening your joints and muscles.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
(female)

Ally316 HB User

i have no idea how i got any of the tears. my doctor and i cant find any normal reason for the tears. the tears in my meniscus is a cartilage tear and the rotator cuffs are a muscle tears i believe not sure though. the only reason we could figure out for one of the tears in my meniscus is a fall i had on a trip but we are not sure if that was really the cause or not.

Last edited by Ally316; 03-16-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
(male)

pjs009 HB User

Ally,

I have some thoughts for you. It sounds like you're describing this systemic, degeneration. It's not like you tore one or two muscles several years apart, and as you state, they weren't due to trauma. I suggest that the cause of all these events is your diabetes, for several reasons. Diabetics tend to have low levels of inflammation, all the time. Most studies focus on the inflammation affecting the heart, and this is why diabetics have a higher incidence of heart disease. However, this inflammation is all over your body, and in your case it may have manifested as a degeneration of your joints. Even if you take your insulin every day, I believe there is still a small level of inflammation. Now if your insulin dose is insufficient, you would have a higher level of inflammation. Sometimes drugs can decrease the potency of insulin. Two of the drugs you mentioned - although not contraindicated - have "monitor warnings" when taking with insulin. Birth control, or estrogens themselves, can raise you blood sugar, requiring more insulin. Also, the promethazine - which by the way is contraindicated with lexapro and methadone - also causes an increase in blood sugar. The other possibility is that you are experiencing a lack of blood flow to the joints, caused by the hyperglycemia.

Obviously, before you ever mess around with your insulin, talk to your doctor. As you have experience with this disease you most likely know this.

You're probably going to say that the last time you checked your blood glucose, it was fine, however I'm not sure if these effects can be ruled out just because one has a normal glucose level.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Closed Thread