It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
(male)

txdave35 HB User
Is It Safe Five Year Old Prescription Meds?

Hey guys,

I am in a bad situation and looking for advice. My problem started two days ago when I just noticed that I was getting up a lot at night to urinate, and then a pressure feeling in my groin along with the sensation that my bladder wasn't fully empty. Ever since that night, it seems like 2 hours max is all I can wait before needing to pee again.

Add in some on and off back pain, and weakness and my fears are pretty high that I have a kidney or bladder infection. I've been downing lots of cranberry juice and water. I looked in my medicine cabinet, and discovered some old leftover Cipro and Amoxicillin. These are anti-biotics used to treat kidney infections.

I am wondering if it would be safe to go ahead and take these drugs. The problem is they are pretty old. Cipro is dated 2003 and the Amoxicillin is 2006.
I really don't know what else to do. I have no health insurance, and have been denied trying to get some recently so I'm on my own here.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
(male)

greengrass HB User
Re: Is It Safe Five Year Old Prescription Meds?

It is totally up to you, the drug companies have to print an expiery date by law but it doesn't mean the drug is not usable. Just think about the government bodies like th CDC or WHO even the millitary who have stockpile of drugs. It would be too costly to be throwing away drugs every year, they can keep some for up to 15 years in a cool dry dark place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They just may not be as effective.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
(male)

greengrass HB User

Plus you should not have any left over, it means you didn't finish the course which could give rise to reinfection.

Anyway do you have enough for a full course, if you don't and it doesn't get rid of the infection totally it will come back stronger and harder to treat probably resistant to the drugs you had taken.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

Many drugs can be taken after expiration date, but NOT antibiotics!! Please don't take them! They can cause kidney failure and other problems as well. Go to a minor emergency clinic and get tested to find out what you are dealing with and they'll give you new meds. Seriously, I know for a fact you should NEVER take expired antibiotics!
Soibhan

Old 03-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soibhan View Post
Many drugs can be taken after expiration date, but NOT antibiotics!! Please don't take them! They can cause kidney failure and other problems as well. Go to a minor emergency clinic and get tested to find out what you are dealing with and they'll give you new meds. Seriously, I know for a fact you should NEVER take expired antibiotics!
Soibhan
Oh crap, I wish I had known this before I took some. I took two Cipro on Friday, and one yesterday. I will not dare take another one. I just pray that I haven't damaged my kidneys. Thankfully, I was able to sleep good last night, and woke up to urinate after 5 hours instead of 2.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

with espescially the type of anti B that cipro actually is and all of the possible side effects casued by even taking it fresh,i would NOT take anymore at this point. cipro is kind of a whole different ballganme when it comes to possible very strong types of side effects. i really DO think just given your description of your onging symptoms that you just have to bite the bullit here and at least see your doc for an initial visit to get the best eval and to possibly obtain NEW rxes for something that may help. the expiration dates of your meds are just wayy too in the past to really be even stable anymore. its just the more that time passes with any Rx type med or even OTC med, it just changes in composistion and creates an unknown type of instability that can cause even worse side effects than the condition you are trying to actually treat,you know what i mean?

i seriously would make an appt with your primray here to get this looked into and evaluated(along with a full physical if it has been a while, since you are paying for this anyways). when it comes to our health, we just sometimes have to go this route. most docs offices are more than willling to work out a payment plan of some kind considering how many people are currently without health ins. they did this for my oldest son when he had issues that just HAD to be treated. you can always ask for any free med samples if you get Rxed something too. alot of docs actually save their freebies for the most needed types of patients who don't happen to currently have health ins. they just get tons of them like daily from alot of different drug reps. always ask about that if you need an Rx for anything. just a suggestion for ya.

but DO make that appt soon and get this checked out. in some cases,depending upon a particular condition or illness,the longer you put it off,the much more higher the overall amout of money you end up paying simply because the situation was left untreated. it is almost always cheaper to get something hit as soon as pssible vs waiting til it becomes a more involved or in depth type of situation that it would not have been had it been found much earlier and treated then,you know what i mean? i do hope this is nothng serious, but DO get it checked out, and also stay out of the old medicine chest with the really old meds. get rid of them. please let us know just whatyou find out. FB

Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
with espescially the type of anti B that cipro actually is and all of the possible side effects casued by even taking it fresh,i would NOT take anymore at this point. cipro is kind of a whole different ballganme when it comes to possible very strong types of side effects. i really DO think just given your description of your onging symptoms that you just have to bite the bullit here and at least see your doc for an initial visit to get the best eval and to possibly obtain NEW rxes for something that may help. the expiration dates of your meds are just wayy too in the past to really be even stable anymore. its just the more that time passes with any Rx type med or even OTC med, it just changes in composistion and creates an unknown type of instability that can cause even worse side effects than the condition you are trying to actually treat,you know what i mean?

i seriously would make an appt with your primray here to get this looked into and evaluated(along with a full physical if it has been a while, since you are paying for this anyways). when it comes to our health, we just sometimes have to go this route. most docs offices are more than willling to work out a payment plan of some kind considering how many people are currently without health ins. they did this for my oldest son when he had issues that just HAD to be treated. you can always ask for any free med samples if you get Rxed something too. alot of docs actually save their freebies for the most needed types of patients who don't happen to currently have health ins. they just get tons of them like daily from alot of different drug reps. always ask about that if you need an Rx for anything. just a suggestion for ya.

but DO make that appt soon and get this checked out. in some cases,depending upon a particular condition or illness,the longer you put it off,the much more higher the overall amout of money you end up paying simply because the situation was left untreated. it is almost always cheaper to get something hit as soon as pssible vs waiting til it becomes a more involved or in depth type of situation that it would not have been had it been found much earlier and treated then,you know what i mean? i do hope this is nothng serious, but DO get it checked out, and also stay out of the old medicine chest with the really old meds. get rid of them. please let us know just whatyou find out. FB

Well the problem with something like this is that it is not easy to diagnose. I would be looking at numerous blood and urine tests, xrays, maybe a MRI, probably causing me to be in debt the rest of my life. And could they really tell me 100% that my kidneys are fine?

While there is no cost on your health, there is a danger of fear letting things get out of control. They could run every test in the book ,and I still walk way not 100% sure if I'm ok.

I let fear get to me two years ago and I let the doctor admit me to the hospital because I was severely constipation. After a 10,000 in charges, they couldn't find anything wrong. It was ruled as stress related, the fear went away, and my bowels started working again.

I almost never go to the doctor, find out exactly what is wrong and get treated. It's always guess work. So I'm gonna just stay in a holding pattern for now. Hopefully, 3 pills of Cipro is not enough to affect my body.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can always go to your county's health dept clinic. THose are usually free.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

txdave.. all it takes is a urine test to determine if you have a bladder infection. They will give you fresh antibiotics and then you can go from there. If it clears up, you have your answer, if it doesn't they keep treating you with more, even if the infection went to the kidneys. Get to a doctor because if it DOES go to the kidneys and stays there for awhile you will be hurting a lot more than for medical debt.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkochic17 View Post
txdave.. all it takes is a urine test to determine if you have a bladder infection. They will give you fresh antibiotics and then you can go from there. If it clears up, you have your answer, if it doesn't they keep treating you with more, even if the infection went to the kidneys. Get to a doctor because if it DOES go to the kidneys and stays there for awhile you will be hurting a lot more than for medical debt.
Thanks for the info. I found a free medical clinic in Little Rock so I'm going to see if I can get looked at there. I was feeling fine for most of the day, then later started getting sweats and weakness. Still using the bathroom a lot, but of course, I'm drinking a lot of water too.

I went out and bought me an Azo URI test kit. I tested negative for URI so I feel a bit less worried.

Does anyone have any specific info on back pain related to kidneys? Some sites say the pain would be above the waist, and then I read that the pain would be upper back. I have more back discomfort and the pain doesnt increase when I press on my back.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am glad you found a place to go since this really could be much worse if you wait too long. as far as any actual kidney pain goes,it kind of depends upon a few different factors, namely,what may actually wrong or going on in them. you can have a more direct type of kidney pain or a radiated type of pain too. i have lived with a kidney and liver disease all my life but just did not have a clue til my son got sick(in 99) and i had to have an ultrasound to see if i had this too,and i did.

my advice to you is to just see that doc, tell him or her ALL of your symptoms you have been feeling(writing them down really helps tons,trust me)and they will more than likely do at least two things. a UA to check for not only a possible infection, but they also check for things that can be there that should not be there like traces of protien. protien in the urine is one of the earlier signs of possible underlying kidney disease,so they just routinely check this too. and they may also do a simple blood draw on you too. these two things would be the most likely given your ongoing symptoms.

as a rule of thumb here, most people actually think their kidneys are much lower in their bodies than they actually are( i assumed this too). both sit a bit higher than the flank area, but for some reason, flank pain is the most commonly described with kidney problems. just for a referance, look up kidney images to really see just how high the actual kidneys really sit in our bodies, i am willing to bet, like me, you actually believe they sit much lower than they do too. its also a good idea to simply kind of know where some of our organs are actually located too. i do hope this is just a simple infection that can be easily treated for you. please keep us posted. FB

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
i am glad you found a place to go since this really could be much worse if you wait too long. as far as any actual kidney pain goes,it kind of depends upon a few different factors, namely,what may actually wrong or going on in them. you can have a more direct type of kidney pain or a radiated type of pain too. i have lived with a kidney and liver disease all my life but just did not have a clue til my son got sick(in 99) and i had to have an ultrasound to see if i had this too,and i did.

my advice to you is to just see that doc, tell him or her ALL of your symptoms you have been feeling(writing them down really helps tons,trust me)and they will more than likely do at least two things. a UA to check for not only a possible infection, but they also check for things that can be there that should not be there like traces of protien. protien in the urine is one of the earlier signs of possible underlying kidney disease,so they just routinely check this too. and they may also do a simple blood draw on you too. these two things would be the most likely given your ongoing symptoms.

as a rule of thumb here, most people actually think their kidneys are much lower in their bodies than they actually are( i assumed this too). both sit a bit higher than the flank area, but for some reason, flank pain is the most commonly described with kidney problems. just for a referance, look up kidney images to really see just how high the actual kidneys really sit in our bodies, i am willing to bet, like me, you actually believe they sit much lower than they do too. its also a good idea to simply kind of know where some of our organs are actually located too. i do hope this is just a simple infection that can be easily treated for you. please keep us posted. FB

Thanks FB. Actually, the free clinic was a no go. They are only open one day a month. I found a family clinic that was willing to see me though.

The doctor was running late, and my bladder problem was much worse today. I got strong urges every 30 minutes, and more nauseated and weak so I was ready for some solutions!

They did a urine test, and surprise, my urine looks clean. No sign of infection. He ordered a cultured urine test just to be safe and put me on some Cipro. Thankfully, Cipro is very cheap, only $4 bucks at Walmart. They also checked my blood sugar which was normal.

I told him about taking the old Cipro and he said I shouldn't be worried and I could even take those if I wanted. They just lose their potency over time.

So I'm kinda back at square one not knowing what is going on with my body. Oddly, the frequent urine urges are gone now and I feel a bit better to my stomach. This could all be mental or stress related knowing me!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hope you are feeling better..
I had a kidney infection years ago, I had really bad pain all over my lower back for a day or two thought I had strained something, then I passed out and woke up in hospital...they gave me bactrin. it took quite a few days to even be able to sleep on my back again...
good luck finding a diagnosis

Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener12 View Post
Hope you are feeling better..
I had a kidney infection years ago, I had really bad pain all over my lower back for a day or two thought I had strained something, then I passed out and woke up in hospital...they gave me bactrin. it took quite a few days to even be able to sleep on my back again...
good luck finding a diagnosis
I'm doing much better. I slept 5 hours last night before needing to urinate which was a good sign. I went back to work feeling nauseated and weak still, but it wore off by lunch and I felt almost 100% again. I urinated normally 2-3 hours in between urges.

Closed Thread