It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
(male)

IrishSaint HB User
trace amount of blood in phlegm

for about a week now ive been sick with some sort of cold and ive been coughing alot. recently the coughing has mostly gone away. at first the mucus was a yellow-green color but then eventually it turned clear. the problem now is sometimes now when i clear my throat and spit it out it is clear with a trace amount of a reddish orange substance, i presume its blood. i think its coming from my sinus area because when i actually cough up phlem from my throat/chest it is clear, and when i blow my nose it is also clear, yet sometimes when i clear my nose and then spit up a loogie or however it is spelt there is sometimes blood in it. what could this be caused by? it is kind of worrying me a little bit. i mean its not like it is alot of blood at all, like i said its just enough to be visible. there will be clear mucus with a section of blood. i just wanna know what is wrong with me. could this just be a side effect of coughing alot or having a clogged nose and now its just dried out? i also should mention that my upper throat and back of mouth area often times feel dry and sore lately. especially in the morning when i wake up. is this all connected?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: trace amount of blood in phlegm

It sounds like it's just from your sinuses and/or throat being irritated that it's causing a little bleeding. The skin is sensitive in there so a lot of blowing your nose, coughing, all that causes tiny tears that would make you have some bleeding. Unless it starts to become more blood than mucus I wouldn't worry about it. I hope you get to feeling better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

susanah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSaint View Post
for about a week now ive been sick with some sort of cold and ive been coughing alot. recently the coughing has mostly gone away. at first the mucus was a yellow-green color but then eventually it turned clear. the problem now is sometimes now when i clear my throat and spit it out it is clear with a trace amount of a reddish orange substance, i presume its blood. i think its coming from my sinus area because when i actually cough up phlem from my throat/chest it is clear, and when i blow my nose it is also clear, yet sometimes when i clear my nose and then spit up a loogie or however it is spelt there is sometimes blood in it. what could this be caused by? it is kind of worrying me a little bit. i mean its not like it is alot of blood at all, like i said its just enough to be visible. there will be clear mucus with a section of blood. i just wanna know what is wrong with me. could this just be a side effect of coughing alot or having a clogged nose and now its just dried out? i also should mention that my upper throat and back of mouth area often times feel dry and sore lately. especially in the morning when i wake up. is this all connected?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

susanah HB User

Hi i had similar experience went to docs and he said i had polyps up my nose and it was one of them bleeding that caused the blood in back of throat sue

Closed Thread