It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Shoulder Impingement/ Instability--Help!

I've got some chronic shoulder pain. I found out about 2 years ago that I have some multidirectional instability in my shoulder joints. Because the ligaments are too lax, I have some subluxation (minor dislocation) of my shoulder joint every time I move my shoulder. This has resulted in tendonitis and bursitis because of swelling and pinching in my shoulder.

I did the PT thing for about 6 months. I had a Cortizone shot. It worked wonders for about 2 months. I then had Subacromial Decompression surgery. The idea there was to "clean up" the shoulder and remove some bone so things didn't pinch so much and there was some room for the swelling. The surgery was a year ago today. It was successful. After several months of PT, I was back to near normal range of motion and the pain gradually went away. I was very happy with the results. Unfortunately, the pain has now returned. I'm having upper motion shoulder pain and some bicep pain that gets worse as I go through the day.

I will admit that I got lazy about my at home PT about 7 months after the shoulder surgery because I had some other surgery that took a lot out of me. I'm now getting back to doing the shoulder PT exercises again in hopes of strengthening the shoulder muscles to hold things in place. I'm also icing the shoulder down and taking anti-inflammatories.

At this point, I just don't know what else to do. I really can't afford to go through more PT sessions. I have tons of medical bills from this last year. The pain just gets worse and worse as the weeks go on.

Any insight or advice you can give on how to cope with this would be much appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
kolbrun2606 (10-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Shoulder Impingement/ Instability--Help!

I don't know if this would appeal to you but I have found magnet therapy to be very helpful. I am using a magnetic shoulder wrap to help with my post rotator cuff surgery a month ago (along with the PT).

Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Jenj
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Jenj

Is there a brand on your magnetic shoulder wrap? I've tried to do an internet search and the only one I found was really expensive. There have to be more of them out there.

Thanks,
Mountain Reader

Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

hmmmm.....you have discovered that stopping the exercises was a mistake. I too, stopped exercises and pain has been bad for 5 months. It is gradually, very gradually getting better with exercises.

Too bad we did not keep up the exercises.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
kolbrun2606 (10-22-2011)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Misty,
I totally agree. I know I did this to myself. I'm working on building up the exercises again.

With the other surgery I had, there was no way I could comfortably do the exercises. It took long enough to heal up again that I wasn't in the routine again. I'm kicking myself now though.

Here's hoping that the exercise will help get the pain back under control. I know I'm dealing with a lifelong problem here because there is no "fix".

Wishing you luck too.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

kitchener12 HB User

Hi I dislocated my shoulder 16 years ago. I have dislocated it several times since although it has happened less as I have gotten older,<sigh>
I was offered surgery but declined because I was not an athlete and I haven;t suffer any pain...along with that I have a neck issue that flares up from time to time and agravates the shoulder, when I exercise I find it is much better, I used to go to the gym and do some weights but since having kids I have cancelled my membership, I have now taken up running about 2-4 km 3 times a week and I feel just the motion has strengthened my shoulder and I can sleep better. Can;t say much for my knees though!!!
Anyways keep up the PT you dont have to attend a session just do the same exercises at home ,I used to lift cans of beans!! , when I first injured my shoulder the drs didn;t give me a good prognosis BUT with heavy PT I regained about 90 % strength and use and still maintain that today
My dr said as you get older the muscles will tighten so as I age my shoulder should not dislocate much at all .....

Last edited by kitchener12; 04-06-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add text

Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
(female)

maddyh HB User

Mtn reader,

How long has this pain persisted? I have just read these posts and this news is very hard to hear. I'm very sympathetic to your situation. As my problem first set in; in it's very severe stages, I did "cupping" an eastern traditional medicinal technique that would give me relief, but it was about $60-$90 per treatment, so it was a gift to myself every two mos. It was accompanied by accupuncture, but I found the glass cupping to be more effective. Beware/ disclaimer: leaves large cirrcular bruises that don't hurt, but resemble tatto or abuse markings haha. I just wear t- shirts or long sleeves for the next week-- No tank tops.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
(male)

kolbrun2606 HB Userkolbrun2606 HB User

Hi How are things is your knee better?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
(male)

zak87 HB User
Exclamation Re: Shoulder Impingement/ Instability--Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I totally agree. I know I did this to myself. I'm working on building up the exercises again.
What are those exercises?

Reply Reply