It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

confidentialme HB User
Irritation behind anus

Okay,

I want to work out what the issue here is, without doing the alarmist approach, as I am not concerned by this in the current moment. I will outline the issue below, and follow it with questions...

The issue: The space behind my anus (not up to my tail-bone or anything, just right behind the anal area) seems to get easily irritated. Occasionally I forget about it entirely, but after a bowel movement (no blood in stool or anything of the sorts that I have noticed) there is sometimes small blotches of blood on the toilet paper and the skin 'down there' feels very irritated.

The questions/figuring out a diagnosis:

1.) What is this most likely? It hasn't been getting at all worse over time; it was worse when I was having loose bowel movements regularly because of a medication I was on (tetracycline) that caused indigestion. This inflamed the skin around my anus. But I am no longer on that medication, so it shouldn't be continuing, technically.

2.) I would say my digestion is often reasonable as of late. Not tons of loose BM or anything, so I don't think I should be getting any diaper rash effect. But it's possible as I do occasionally have loose stools or constipation as a result of anxiety/stress, which is a regular thing for me.

3.) I am a gay male who occasionally does have anal sex (being the receiving partner sometimes.) I take the right steps though (safe sex always) and always make sure I am relaxed. If it doesn't feel right, I don't do it until I am relaxed. I do anal sex the right way, so I wouldn't have thought it would cause me issues. Also, it's more of an external issue as I have explained, not inside the anus. But could this add to the problem? What can I do to avoid it? Can anal sex cause issues outside of the anus too?

4.) If this helps with diagnosis-- I find that if I apply Triple Antibiotic to the affected area and anus, the next day it feels fine. Is this reasonable ongoing treatment? Does it help the diagnosis?

Please ask me any questions that will help you figure out what I may have and any answers to my questions are welcomed!!! Thanks!

-confidential_me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
(female)

britishfields HB User
Re: Irritation behind anus

Here is one possibility if you have already considered hemorrhoids.

[DELETED]

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-19-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: This board is for your own writing only. Do not post text from other sources. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
(male)

confidentialme HB User

[deleted]

Sounds like this could be me, as well as the dull ache in the area that can happen occasionally when the problem becomes chronic, like my own. (Been an issue since half a year ago now.)

Weird though... the website said not to put any ointments on it but I find that it's always helped by Triple Antibiotic.

Hmmm. I guess a fissure is nothing to worry about then?

It isn't going to get worse over time is it? I don't notice any more blood on the toilet paper or anything.... so.... maybe it is nothing to worry about?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-19-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: This board is for your own writing only. Do not post text from other sources.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
(female)

britishfields HB User

My husband had Anal Fissures (rather badly) via constipation and tried several medications prescribed by a doctor. None worked at all. He found

deleted

a natural treatment oil. I was surprised at first, but it really worked and gave him the relief he was looking for. Try it.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-18-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Mine isn't severe.

What other options do I have to get rid of them? Any topical gels or treatments?

Last edited by Administrator; 05-18-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

check out pilonidal cyst-my son had one and it's in the same area below the tailbone

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
(male)

confidentialme HB User

For awhile I was worried and wondering if maybe it was something caused by an ingrown hair.

But did your son experience a bit of blood on toilet paper? I feel like the more likely thing is that I have a fissure, yet this cyst thing is making me wonder.

Hmmm.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Oh and PS. I don't have the most hairless butt in the world, so does that increase chances of pilonidal cyst? I guess you need to have enough hair for there to be an ingrown hair and therefore a cyst?

But for me, the discomfort isn't right below the tailbone, it's much further down in the "crease" between the buttocks, with most discomfort being from just behind the anus to about halfway between the tailbone and the anus.

So, I guess it's most likely a fissure still?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Old 05-19-2009, 05:08 AM   #9
(female)

Just Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB UserJust Tell Me HB User
Re: Irritation behind/around anus

Two possibilities come to mind: #1 you have a small fissure that keeps getting reopened which if it's small should heal on it's own if you give it time and get a Rx for low dose steroid cream or suppositories. #2 you mentioned taking antibiotics, some of which namely vancomycin, causes red man syndrome in some people. It may be that you've had and adverse reation to the tetracycline and it just so happened to affect that part of your body, especially since you've already noticed gastrointintestinal side effects. It's always best to consult a Dr when you have issues that don't resolve after a short time.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Could be a yeast infection. You can get them there or anywhere that stays moist and dark (men too!). Do you exercise and sweat a lot therefore keeping this area moist? When you shower and water hits this place, does it hurt and sting?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Yeah. It can sting for sure. And I was on tetracycline which kills good bacteria in the body and can cause yeast infections. Again, though, I am not ready yet to jump to any conclusions.

New development is that I checked 'down there' and i have a red line, almost like where irritated skin "split", from the bottom of the tailbone down for a few centimetres, not perfectly centred but yeah... whatever that means. No identifiable "cyst" per se. I applied Triple Antibiotic ointment again this morning, which, as per usual, helps soothe the area.

Thanks for all the help everyone . Keep it coming

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Very helpful advice, especially interested by the possibility of there being some reaction to the tetracycline.

Someone also suggested yeast infection of the area?

And a new development is that I looked and starting below the tailbone and going for about two centimetres downward there is a red line, almost like where irritated skin had "split" and it seems that is where the blood on toilet paper is coming from. Triple Antibiotic Ointment always soothes it when I apply it.

Also, can I get an over-the-counter ointment like the one I am currently using, or must I see a doctor? I am not embarrassed as much as don't have any time to see a doctor currently, and am away from my home city where my family doctor is located.

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Why was the post between my last two posts deleted? Weird. I thought she gave helpful suggestions.

-confidentialme

Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidentialme View Post
Very helpful advice, especially interested by the possibility of there being some reaction to the tetracycline.

Someone also suggested yeast infection of the area?

And a new development is that I looked and starting below the tailbone and going for about two centimetres downward there is a red line, almost like where irritated skin had "split" and it seems that is where the blood on toilet paper is coming from. Triple Antibiotic Ointment always soothes it when I apply it.

Also, can I get an over-the-counter ointment like the one I am currently using, or must I see a doctor? I am not embarrassed as much as don't have any time to see a doctor currently, and am away from my home city where my family doctor is located.

Thanks again!

That sounds exactly like what I get sometimes and it is yeast. The red line and burning when water gets on it sounds just like what I get. Go get some over the counter 7 day cream for vaginal yeast infections and apply to the area for 7 days and see if it goes away.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
(male)

confidentialme HB User

Going to the pharmacist and asking for vaginal yeast infection cream is a bit embarrassing.

What should I ask for?

Closed Thread