It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

kaleidoscopic HB User
Swelling in upper left abdomen

I have some minor swelling in my upper left abdomen, right below the ribcage. I consulted a friend and she noticed it, too, but said if it doesn't hurt than it probably isn't anything to worry about. Do you agree? Or is it worth paying for a visit to the doctor?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

Imissmyhorsegus HB User
Re: Swelling in upper left abdomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidoscopic View Post
I have some minor swelling in my upper left abdomen, right below the ribcage. I consulted a friend and she noticed it, too, but said if it doesn't hurt than it probably isn't anything to worry about. Do you agree? Or is it worth paying for a visit to the doctor?
Call your dr and ask him or her there opion not a friends there intentions may be good but i personally would see the dr if the swelling doesnt go down soon. did you bang into something or did the swelling just apear?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

kaleidoscopic HB User

The swelling just appeared. It has been around for a month or two. Recently, it has felt a bit tender on occasion, but I think maybe that's because I keep poking it (can't resist!). The swelling was definitely not caused by poking, though. Or at least, I don't think so. Grah. Going to the doctor is expensive. I wonder what it could be?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The upper left side is the sight of 2 organs...the stomach and the spleen. The spleen is more on your side but it can swell painlessly from a variety of blood disorders. If it's more to the front that it's probably your stomach and it swells from eating. You colon goes through the area as well and it swells as food or gas goes through.

If you notice any unusual bruising or you bleed excessively from a small cut, see you doc in case it's your spleen. Or if you get sick and don't seem to recover, time to see him/her. Do some investigating on the internet on anatomy so you can see where the various organs are and then try to figure out where your swelling is. If it's the stomach or colon, is probably just food or gas. If it's elsewhere, then you might want to check it out.

Jenny

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

kaleidoscopic HB User

I went to the doctor today (finally). It turns out that I have an enlarged spleen! Had some blood tests done and am waiting to hear back. I hope it's just mono or something.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Boy...it's been so long since I had mono I forgot about that. Yeah, that does cause the spleen to enlarge. Glad you went(and boy do I feel old right now!)

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
(female)

kaleidoscopic HB User

Is it strange that my spleen was enlarged enough that the swelling was actually visible?? Is that something normal for mono?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Yeah, it is. It can also make the lymph nodes on the back sides of you neck swell so much they stick out like eggs. Can make your liver swell up too(on the other side).

Your spleen is the garbage can for all the defective blood cells so when the garbage is full, it's big. It will go down as you recover.

Did they get the blood test results back yet?????

hugs.............Old Lady Jenny

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
(female)

kaleidoscopic HB User

Thank you for the response! It is so comforting to get feedback on this, even if it's over the net. I go to the doctor in probably 10 or so hours, so hopefully I will find out then just what's going on. I hope it's something easily treatable so that I can get back to running, running, running.

Closed Thread