It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
(male)

thatdudefromny HB User
should a guy get laser hair removal on chest?

I'm 23 and have hair on my chest and stomach. These days, the "hairless look" is obsessed over in our culture. When I go to the beach, most guys don't have body hair, and so I feel uncomfortable about my look. But some women like body hair.

So, how should I decide whether to get permanent hair removal or not? Do most women prefer guys with no chest/ab hair these days? I'm worried that if I get hair removal, "the 70s trend of manly hairy men" will come back some day. lol Waxing and shaving is too annoying and causes ingrown hairs, so I'm considering laser removal option.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: should a guy get laser hair removal on chest?

The biggest question is what do you like? Hairless chests are a fad now. It was a fad hundreds of years ago, and it will be a fad in other generations to come. Women truly care more about how you treat them than hair or no hair on your chest.

Many men remove hair to show muscle definition. That's fine if he's always going to have those muscles, but having the hair also can disguise less than perfect muscles.

My opinion:

Back hair...permanent removal.

Chest hair...temporary removal.

I you should choose to get laser, do your homework. For descent results, you must choose the right laser for your skin type, and have a laser tech that is trained and skilled. Laser will not get rid of all your hair. It's laser hair reduction, not removal. You need someone experienced in male chests or you could end up with patchiness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

The body hair vs. no body hair issue has been going on for centuries! Frankly, this is an issue that's on the very bottom of my list of preferences regarding men. Who cares about body hair if a guy treats me well, has a sense of humor, is able to carry on an intelligent conversation, and has an honest and open heart? Do whatever you want to please YOU, but please know that most women will be happy with you if YOU are happy with you! Self-confidence is very attractive!
Soibhan

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am one who likes a natural man. I do not want my man to be pretty, to be waxed, plucked, hair sprayed, spray tanned, or anything else. I want a clean man, a kind man, a funny man, and a loving man. A man who works, loves his mom, can fix things, and loves children and animals...but that is just me!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I'm with Choice.. excessive back hair, think about permanent removal. Don't know any woman that likes that.
Chest hair is another story. I actually like a guy with hair on his chest.. that's what a man is supposed to have. Don't get worked up about what they other guys are doing. Women like men of all sizes, shapes, hairy or not hairy. If a woman is going to like you for you, she'll get over what type of body hair you have.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

collegekid1989 HB User

There are a lot of downsides to laser hair removal that aren't talked about frequently, not including the men-specific ones (such as patchiness).

#1 It is more annoying than waxing.

Why?

Well, it hurts a LOT more. A lot more. Also, it irritates the skin a lot (well, it does so to mine, and I have the "perfect" skin type, that is, dark hair, light skin). So your skin will be red and patchy for quite some time (I would say mine was red and patchy for ~4 days, sometimes more or less). It takes a little longer than a week for the hairs to fully work themselves out, as well, and that whole process looks kinda odd. So it is not as "quick" as waxing in that regard.

#2 It's not permanent.

Laser hair removal reduced the hair (in some areas) for a time, but it has since grown completely back (2 yrs later). This is after a stunning number of treatments every 3 weeks over the course of 2 years (I don't remember how many treatments they SAY you need, but trust me I got a LOT more than that). Also, this area of long-term reduced hair growth was small compared to the total area I attempted it on. Otherwise, the hair would just keep coming back no matter what...it did tend to remove it for longer than waxing (after the longer than usual waiting period), but honestly, not by enough to warrant the THOUSANDS of dollars.

Honestly, I would continue waxing. Are you sure you are taking all of the appropriate steps to reduce in grown hairs? That is, using a "no bump" cream and wearing clothes that don't rub for a couple days after the wax and NEVER shaving? Also, have you tried different waxers? I have found less skilled waxers tend to bring about more ingrown hairs. And finally, the number of ingrown hairs will be reduced the more you wax. Waxing, for me, has overtime lead to a nice semi-permanent thinning and lightening of the hair, if not a permanent removal, which is probably what you want more, anyway.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

That sounds like a huge investment in time, money, pain, and side effects...I speak for all the women out there who say...Just be yourself! Body hair on men is manly, and sexy. Will you need to shave your legs, too? I hope not.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

collegekid, I'm sorry you didn't achieve the results you wanted with laser, but I can tell you that going in every 3 weeks was way too often. Your laser provider should have know this. At 3 weeks, any hair that is showing is either still shedding or was missed at the last treatment. Your treatments should have been spaced 8-12 weeks in the beginning and then spaced further as you went along. Your results are not typical.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
(male)

thatdudefromny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid1989 View Post

#2 It's not permanent.

Laser hair removal reduced the hair (in some areas) for a time, but it has since grown completely back (2 yrs later). This is after a stunning number of treatments every 3 weeks over the course of 2 years (I don't remember how many treatments they SAY you need, but trust me I got a LOT more than that).

Honestly, I would continue waxing. Are you sure you are taking all of the appropriate steps to reduce in grown hairs? That is, using a "no bump" cream and wearing clothes that don't rub for a couple days after the wax and NEVER shaving? Also, have you tried different waxers?
Do you remember what type of laser (model/name) that was used on you? Are you sure it was not an IPL? In my research every laser center told me the process would be at least 1 year 6-8 weeks after each treatment and at least 6-8 treatment sessions because hair grows in different cycles. I know that lasers are expensive, do hurt, and time consuming, but for the long run it sounds like it is cost effective.

I waxed 4 times in my life and the last waxing session which was 3 months ago literally ruined my summer this year. I got such bad ingrowns and red bumps that it looked like a case of chicekn pox at first. I still have these ingrowns and red bumps that don't go away. I can not go shirtless or swim in public. I have tried everything, from alpha hydroxy creams to TendSkin to Tea Tree Oil soap bars to make my ingrown bumps go away, but it did not solve the problem much. This is the reason why I'm contemplating going with the laser process and not have to think about waxing periodically.

Closed Thread