It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
(male)

darren68 HB User
how does the doctor get stomach acid out of your lungs

how does the doctor get stomach acid out of your lungs

Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
(male)

garrett24 HB User
Re: how does the doctor get stomach acid out of your lungs

You do not have stomach acid in your lungs. I believe that it is physiologically impossible for that to happen. Is it possible that you simply have indigestion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Has a doctor confirmed you have stomach acid in your lungs?

I have had problems with acid reflux irritating my lungs and some aspiration of acid in the lungs, but it wasn't something I "got rid of". The irritation was triggering my asthma as well. I treated the acid reflux aggressively. I also aggressively treated my asthma.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

you will cough it out on your own, the doctor will treat the cause of the reflux itself by doing tests and most likely putting you on meds to treat the reflux itself.

garret.. if you get bad acid reflux you can actually breathe it into your lungs.. it won't "fill" your lungs by any means, but just a bit of aspiration into your lungs can cause irritation to the lining. For me it results in asthma attacks when my reflux gets really bad.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
(male)

garrett24 HB User

I had no idea that you could get stomach acid in your lungs, but now that you explain it I guess it makes sense that it could happen. If that is the case, it makes me wonder why other mouth contents do not end up in the lungs? Normally, when anything other than air enters the windpipe you begin to cough it out immediately.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I think in almost all cases it occurs at night or when you lay down, otherwise when standing up unless you have a severe case of reflux, it wouldn't make it up to your windpipe. I suspect it's just enough to irritate the lining of the lungs without being enough to make you wake up coughing, although to be honest I have woken up coughing now and then in the night. I have to sleep elevated at night (use a wedge pillow) to minimize my reflux at night which is when it's worse, no matter what I eat or don't eat.

Closed Thread