It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Breathing hurts lower back

I pretty much failed the Lung Function tests so I gotta see what's the problem with that and why it hurts in my lower back area when I try to breathe in MORE air, and breathe out MORE air (I don't really think it's a spine issue, though). It kinda feels like I used to be able to expand and extract with no problem at all. Now it almost feels like there's not enough space inside for me to do this without me feeling some pressing pain. Trips I've made to the Pulmonologist this year have said my lungs are normal, so I assume it's not a physical lung problem. X-rays of the L-Spine show everything normal. Anyone have any opinions?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Breathing hurts lower back

If you failed your lung function tests, your lungs are not normal. They are not functioning properly and now you need to find out why. Is it the lungs themselves or the pleura that are the exterior lining of the lungs. Pleural fibrosis can make it hard and painful to breathe(many causes). Heart problems can cause the lungs to not function right if they aren't getting enough blood to carry the O2. You didn't say which side of your back but if I remember from another post, it's the right side. Not much else there except the liver below the lung but lung pain can appear all over the place. Just ask anyone whose had pneumonia.

Now that you've ruled out your spine, follow up with the pulmonologist and see where that leads. Someone will figure this out sooner or later. I'm in the same boat and I think I may have found a clue to my problems last week so I'm off hunting again. It takes time and patience but it's better than sitting at home waiting for the worst.

good luck again................Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Breathing hurts lower back

There are several reasons you can fail lung function tests even if doc says your lungs are normal.

If you used any meds that expand the lungs' airways within 4 hours of the test.
If you took any sedatives before the test.
If you ate or drank anything that had caffeine it it before the test.

And here is a reason that would probably pertain to you:
If you can't breathe normally because of PAIN.

Also, obesety can be a factor, or if you had a very large meal beforehand that bloated/enlarged your stomach.

As to where to go next, that's a tough one. What does your GP have to say about this? Am wondering if it could actually be gastrointestinal pain that's referred to the back.

zuzu

Closed Thread