It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

yvan300 HB User
Unhappy Teenage boy having knee pains!!! :(

Well i didn't know what i had so i placed this thread in the general health section. Ok so my problem is that i think the cartilage in my knees are being worn away. They squeak and crack a lot and hurt to bend. It is becoming difficult for me to sprint and squat. I'm planning to visit the doctor but my mom says it may just be a phase, could anyone point me in the right direction here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Teenage boy having knee pains!!! :(

See a doctor. You are way too young to have osteoarthritis so you need to find out why they hurt. Injury? Some kind of arthritis? Or something else? There are specific disorders that hit teens in their knees and other large joints. Need to rule those out too.

Mom is well meaning but you need to be evaluated. You need to keep those knees for a lifetime so fixing anything wrong now is important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
(male)

Peter Benders HB User

knee pain is very unusual for a teenager!! You need proper diagnose and treatment.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
(male)

yvan300 HB User

Well i guess i have to see the doctor, i hope it ain't arthritis then i can't play anymore football

Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Have you lost weight or muscle strength recently?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

have you grown any in height? it may not be the cartlidge but that your tendons and such aren't growing as fast as your bones causing "growing pains".. either way, best to get checked out by a doctor.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
(female)

AuntHelga HB User

I have an idea of what you might have, one of my girlfriends sons who plays alot of sports (a really active teen) started having knee pains like you had described. The doctors told them he had osteochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage. It's a fairly rare condition but not altogether unheard of. It typically happens in teens when they are physically active. He had gotten surgery done, pins inserted into the knees. The good news is that he still remains very active playing hockey, soccer, cycling..the only thing is he still has trouble running for long periods of time. So really look into it, go to a doctor and see what's going to help you most.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

are you an athlete? Do you run a lot? My husband had what sounds like what you're experiencing. I know my spelling here will be horrid, but it was called an maniscus tear? I know that's prob. not how you spell it. But it was due to the wear and tear from him jogging. He had to have surgery. When it was healed it was good as new. Now the other is bothering him. lol

Old 09-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
(male)

yvan300 HB User

I run a few miles weekly, hope it's not what that ladies husband had, how long do you spend recovering after sergery?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvan300 View Post
I run a few miles weekly, hope it's not what that ladies husband had, how long do you spend recovering after sergery?
The surgery itself didn't really put him down. He just iced for 3 days. He could walk around. But it was um... 4 or 5 months before he started running again.

Closed Thread