It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
(male)

flemmy HB User
dry eyes

Hi all..

I've been having a lot of trouble with dry eyes. I've also had what I believe is some form of conjunctivitis...many, many bouts over the past 2 years. I believe this has some sort of endocrine imbalance as the root cause. This seems obvious to me, even though the eye doctor I saw said she never heard of thyroid problems causing it (!) I told her it started while on hydrocortisone (self-medicating for weak adrenals).

I've had a number of TSH tests over the last few years, which have ranged from 1.14 to 2.98. FT3 and FT4 were in range, but T4 was low normal (but this was all before the eye problem started).

Getting really frustrated with doctors not listening to me. Not sure what to do next (try to find a good doctor...if there are any?)

I have a lot of symptoms, seems like someone should be able to put the puzzle together..

Any comments appreciated!

-michael

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: dry eyes

Hello,

See an eye Doctor and they can test your dryness.

I am no expert but I experience dry eyes just recently and my eye doctor picked it up on an exam.

Are you on any medications like for blood pressure? Some medications can cause eye dryness. Ask the Pharmacist or eye doctor they seem to know more about this than your regular doctors.

Also there is a disorder called Sjorden's and I am spelling that wrong I am sure. Where you have dry mouth and eyes....

I hope that helps and good luck. Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
(male)

flemmy HB User

Hi

I don't trust the eye doctor, as, like I said, she didn't think there's an endocrine link to dry eyes. I don't think I have Sjogren's, as I don't have any trouble with dry mouth. I also can tear up normally (just have to reflect on my health issues etc ...ha). The problem is worse at night. I'm sure it's some sort of hormone imbalance.

Thanks,
-michael

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I have pretty serious dry eye too and am certain it's part of the constellation of hypo symptoms. Ophalomolgists just confirm, yes you have dry eye and then recommend artificial tears. Endocrinology isn't their specialty.

It sounds like you are still hypo and need more hormones. Your free T3 and free T4 should typically be up in the top third of ranges in order to be at a good metabolic function. Do you have any labs to share with the ranges?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

Hashimotossucks HB User

Interesting. I have dry eyes too (and hashi's/hypo). And something that looks a tiny bit like conjunctivitis, but the eye doc just gave me steroid drops for when it's especially bothersome. I do get dry mouth sometimes too but I think that is a side-effect of one of my meds and the fact that I am a mouth breather doesn't help.
When my mom was really hypo (before treatment), she said she was much more suseptable to everything because nothing, including her immune system, was running up to speed.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Hi, I suffer with dry eyes too, I don't really notice it until the evening when I'm sat relaxing watching TV... My daughter noticed about a year ago that I've started blinking an awful lot, again I never noticed. Then I was asked to be interviewed on the local news regarding the economy, afterwards when I watched it, I couldn't believe how much I was blinking. I believe my excessive blinking is due to dry eyes.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
(male)

flemmy HB User

Thanks for the responses.

I had TSH tested 4 times since 2003: 1.93, 1.14, 2.80, 2.02 (most recent, last year).

In 2007, FT4 was 1.0 (.7 to 1.5). In 2006 .91 (.8 to 2.2)
In 2006, FT3 was 3.6 (2.8 to 5.3)
In 2006, T4 was 5.8 (5.5 to 11.0)

Thanks again for any comments!
-michael

Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I have always had dry eyes. Within a couple hours of putting my contacts in, my eyes are bright red. My eye dr. says I don't produce enough tears, so I don't know if this is a genetic thing (my dad has dry eyes) or a hypo thing. I walk around looking stoned and tired all the time.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemmy View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I had TSH tested 4 times since 2003: 1.93, 1.14, 2.80, 2.02 (most recent, last year).

In 2007, FT4 was 1.0 (.7 to 1.5). In 2006 .91 (.8 to 2.2)
In 2006, FT3 was 3.6 (2.8 to 5.3)
In 2006, T4 was 5.8 (5.5 to 11.0)

Thanks again for any comments!
-michael
In 2007 your FT4 was at 38% of its range, which is quite low. In 2006 your FT3 was only at 32% of range and it should be well up into the top third of range. Your TSH is creeping up there too. Is dry eye your only symptom? Your labs say that you are indeed hypo.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Dry eyes can be from many things. Low Estrogen, Meds, Celiac, several autoimmune issues and genetic. I have had Severe hypothyroidism for years with Hashis and my dry eyes just started 6 months ago. My eyes feel grainy all the time. I do not feel like my mouth is dry but I started having cavities in the last 2 years and the dentist said it could be my saliva diminishing. Since I have Celiac and Hashis and am just now starting into the the Big M it could be any or all of those causing it.

Since thyroid issues can cause dry skin, dry hair, dry and brittle nails it makes sense it could cause dry eyes. Not everyone has all of the symptoms.

I hope you find out. Good luck to you. Oleander

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

My Nanna also has problems with her dry eyes, she's always had issues, she was diagnosed with thyroid disfuction, not sure which one. She been on the meds for most of her adult life, but still complains about grainy eyes.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
(male)

flemmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
In 2007 your FT4 was at 38% of its range, which is quite low. In 2006 your FT3 was only at 32% of range and it should be well up into the top third of range. Your TSH is creeping up there too. Is dry eye your only symptom? Your labs say that you are indeed hypo.
Thanks for the response.. (to all)

I've been reading various thyroid forums for a few years now. I hear that alot: that FT3 should be in upper half of the range etc. The problem is finding a doctor who believes that. I've been in a few arguments with doctors over that and got nowhere fast. But I also have my own doubts. It seems to me that nobody has FT3 (or FT4) in the upper part of the range, unless they're being treated (and I've seen quite a few...)??? Maybe I'm missing something.

I should also say that I did a saliva cortisol test and it showed pretty low cortisol and DHEA. And according to the Dr. Rind chart, I am more hypoadrenal than hypothyroid.

Thanks to all..
-michael

Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
(female)

b1791 HB User

About a month ago my FT4 was at 38% of range and I was hyper. My dose was dropped and I'm feeling better and my dry eyes are feeling a lot better (I can wear contacts again). So I don't think it's written in stone that you have to be in the top of the range. I think everyone has their levels where they feel the best so hopefully when you find yours your eyes will improve. Just my 2 cents though.

Beth

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

A lot of docs seem to be old school and still believe that too high of FT3 can cause bone loss. While that can be true, I'll take bone loss over feeling like death warmed over any day.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User

Hi flemmy,

Self-medicating may have exacerbated your problems. It may be your immune system that is weak, not your adrenals. Did you have your adrenals checked out so you have a true diagnosis? We can really upset the natural balance we need by looking at symptoms and assuming we know the cause. I'm not saying that is what you did. I'm just concerned!

Conjunctivitis is a viral or bacterial eye infection, not at all related to hormone balance, so that is likely what your doctor was trying to get across. Conjunctivitis can be from Herpes, or any other kind of virus or bacteria. Perhaps building up your immune system would allow your eyes to heal and stop the eye problems.

Dry eyes caused by thyroid imbalance suggests hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid), not hypothyroidism (too little thyroid). And while it is uncomfortable and irritating, that in itself doesn't cause infection. So you may want to consider the many other things that cause eye issues such as allergies, sensitivity to light (maybe a vit. A deficiency), stress, plugged or inflamed tear ducts, not getting enough sleep, etc. High metabolism whether caused by thyroid levels or not can cause dry, sensitive eyes. But those things don't cause infections. Infections suggest a low immune system, perhaps from eating too much refined food. The prepared food that has added vitamins isn't the same as eating nutritious food, since heat destroys most nutrients.

Your current eye problem could be from using the cortisone, in which case it could take a long time to recover. Really, I think a reoccurring infection is indicative of a need to eat foods high in antioxidants and maybe also take antioxidant supplements to help build up your immune system...this natural process isn't a instant or quick solution like a drug (which usually only works temporarily), but usually it works.

I hope something I said rings a bell, and that you find the solutions you need.

Last edited by friendlione; 10-16-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread