It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

historybuff HB User
Numerous nasty bruises/hematoma after injury

Howdy all,

I'm looking for some input regarding a handful of nasty bruises on my legs. I was recently (two weeks ago) hit by a taxi while riding my bike. I spent a week in the hospital being treated for a series of small hip fractures and a broken L5 vertebra (I'm not sure if that would've happened back home in the US, but in Germany they seem to have a tendency to keep you in the hospital longer). I'm currently walking on crutches and taking Clexane to avoid bloodclots.That's the background to my issue.

What worries me now, though, is that the bruises I got during the accident have been behaving unlike any other bruise I've ever had. I have a bruise on my shin, as well as a few on my ankle, that have hardened quite a bit, to the point of being uncomfortable, but not often truly painful. They are raised, obvious bumps, although they aren't as dark and discolored as bruises can be.

Another worrying bruise is one on my outer upper thigh, on my right leg (where I'm assuming most of the impact was). Over the past two weeks, the bruise, which was once enormous and quite colorful, has gone down, but I still have a fairly large, squishy bump near the bruise. I'm assuming this bump is a hematoma. Recently, the "hematoma" has started having a burning sensation when I stand up after having sat down for a long time. It has decreased in size, but only a little.

Anyways, I would appreciate some help. Are these bruises normal after a traumatic injury? Also, what would be the best form of action to take?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread