It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

Italianwoman HB User
pain in my arms down to my fingertips!

About a month ago, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling my hands all stiff and numb. I rub it and it went away the next day my hands were fine no pain. A couple of nights ago, thge numbness and the buring sensations has started again going from both of my arms (elbow all the way down into my fingertips.) I am getting worried because I don't know what it is! any suggestions what could cause this please it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
(female)

Lawliet HB User
Re: pain in my arms down to my fingertips!

My mom used to experienced same as yours. And then when we went to doctor for check up, the doctor found that she has scalp allergies that irritates and make numb of her arms through fingertips. My suggestion for you is you also consult a doctor and tell the doctor of what's happening and how long it has been happening. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Lawliet; 10-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to agree on at least having this evaluated by your primary doc who can also do the basic neuro eval on you too. the very best place to start looking for the overall generator of these types of symptoms, espescially since they are bilateral (in both arms not just one?) would be to obtain an MRI of your c spine just to see if don't have at least some level of disc issue that would be more centrally located given the fact that this is not only in one arm or side? once you obtain that MRI that would kind of dictate what any next steps would be like doing an EMG/NCV just to check on nerve flow thru the arms up to that c spine? its only becasue you appear to also have a more specific type of possible nerve issue that could be impacted at the elbow just given how you described that one side? but do get to your primary to obtain a referral for that very needed c spine MRI. the c spine and the very top thorasic vertebrae level are what actually innervate down to the fingers in our bodies. its from c 6 thru T 1. T 1-about 4 also just show up on a c spine MRI, so that would include that T 1 too.

you just really need to find what is actually generating this pain and numbness in you and an MRI being done on the area that innervates those arms would possibly show the real reason why. there just are MANY possible issues one can have in the spinal area that can create alot of different symptoms and very REAL pain as well. just make that appt with your primary and get that MRI done, preferrably with a contrasting agent also being used? this just helps to really better highlight certain findings and areas that do not always show real well upon plain MRI. good luck with this, please do keep us posted. FB

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
(male)

Dale38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwoman View Post
About a month ago, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling my hands all stiff and numb. I rub it and it went away the next day my hands were fine no pain. A couple of nights ago, thge numbness and the buring sensations has started again going from both of my arms (elbow all the way down into my fingertips.) I am getting worried because I don't know what it is! any suggestions what could cause this please it would be greatly appreciated.
Have a test done for carpaltunnel in your wrist, i had same and had a 15 min surg. to both hands and walla fixed 15 years ago. Dale38

Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey dale, that IS exactly what the EMG would show, any nerve flow impairment at specific places down that arm. carpal tunnel actually involves that median nerve which is the only nerve that actually goes thru that tunnel to the finger. i am thinking given this elbow thing that this could be a combo of a possible c spine issue(considering BOTH arm involvement) and an ulnar nerve issue that would have a likelyhood of being impacted right at the crease area of the elbow but on the OUTSIDE? this is the place we sometimes hit that people say they hit the 'funny bone' thing? its the ulnar nerve/crease that get hit. just some info for ya. i am curious as to just what specific symptoms you had to what areas/fingers when you had this? FB

Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
(male)

Dale38 HB User

The only time my hands, fingers would go numb was when i drove or held a book ! at night i would wake up and i didnt have arms or thats how it felt , then the pain would be in shoulders and elbows really bad , the surgury cleans the build up cartlege from rep. from work and releaved all presure on all the nerves may arms and hands are perfect now except for a little arthritis. I know how you are feeling and this simple operation fixed me ! Dale

Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

just curious dale. so you actually had CT in BOTH wrists then with surgery done on both in order to get rid of what sounds like bilateral symptoms from the shoulders on down? thats really alot of upper symptoms to actually have from only the median nerve being impinged within that tunnel. did your surgeon actually ever do a c spine MRI just to be 100% certain that this WAS 'only' CT syndrome and not also some form of c spine problem/radiculopathic types of symptoms too? its just pretty standard protocal before ANY true cutting into a patient is gotten to that point to at the very least, rule out ANY possible c spine issues as at least playing a part(or even all of) in the overall symptoms. even with an EMG done that backs up never flow impairment. any surgeon just NEEDS to have everything else ruled out before putting any patient thru the trauma and very real risks involved in any surgical procedure, thats all. its called 'covering their butt"?

so what are your symptoms of what you are referring to as symptoms of 'arthritis"? your pre op symptoms just really sounded VERY profound to be ONLY related to the CT syndrome, thats why i am wondering about the amazing relief you managed to obtain. interesting and really amazing too considering. was this done in BOTH wrists or just one? FB

Closed Thread