It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

gabrielT HB User
Trying to get down to 2-3% body fat... am I healthy though?

I've been trying to reduce my body fat to the baret minimum through exercise/diet... my lady/family are somewhat dissaproving and think I'm becoming healthy but I don't. Anyone offer any opinions on my physical well-being/tips for me?
I'm a 19y/o male, 6' 2" and I weight between 125-127lbs. I've recently returned to a vegetarian diet (not vegan, I only abstain from the eating of flesh, but not dairy etc.). My exercise regimen consists of:
3-6 runs weekly (depending on my schedule), i start with a .5-.7 mile warm up carrying a 5lb weight in each hand, then stretch and do another 2-3 miles as quickly as I can.
I also do pushups and situps, and arm workouts with light freeweights (5 and 10lbs). I dont count my reps, i just do them until I can do anymore and move onto the next exercise, but I try to do at least 3 sets of each workout.

I'm also prescribed amphetamine, usually taking between 20 and 80 mgs a day.

IMo I'm healthier than most people I see around me, but I'm looking for some 2nd opinions.

EDIT- I also smoke between 5-10 unfiltered cigs a day (down from 1 - 2 packs a day) and take 10mg of ambien at night.

thanks

Last edited by gabrielT; 10-21-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more info

Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
(female)

karen275 HB User
Re: Trying to get down to 2-3% body fat... am I healthy though?

Who told you to reduce your body fat? 2 to 3% is NOT healthy. You have very important fat soluble vitamin. that will not be absorbed. At your age, you are still growing. This routine of yours is dangerous. As a former bodybuilder, putting on more lean muscle mass takes care of the body fat issue.There is a psychological problem here. I can hear it.No shame or condemnation towards you; I admire your diligence and respect your desire to be healthy,but this is the wrong path. It's urgent that you get some help. Also go on some websites dealing with men's health . Let me know how you are doing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Trying to get down to 2-3% body fat... am I healthy though?

2% to 3% is down at the essential body fat level for men. However, this is neither realistic in general nor optimal for health -- even male athletes are more often in the 6% to 13% range, while up to about 18% is generally considered healthy for men (women are typically about 7% to 8% higher in body fat percentage than men).

Your stated height and weight are also what is usually considered underweight. Gaining weight (while maintaining body fat percentage in the healthy range) will likely improve your health.

But it is likely the best thing you can do for your health is to stop smoking.

Closed Thread