It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
(female)

pain2009 HB User
Flank Pain on right side

I have a sharp pain on the right side for about 3 year now goes and back, I had 4 procedures done thinking it was kidney stone, last september I had a cystoscopy done, it was normal - 2 months later the pain start over again, it's like a sharp object robing against my flesh and it's not kidney stone.
Please help and what type of doctor should I seek?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

tamellen HB User
Re: Flank Pain on right side

Oh, I know your pain. Here's my story. If anything comes up, let me know. Good luck.

In Jan 2008, I had been diagnosed with a couple of kidney stones. I was having severe abdominal pain, nausea, etc. I went in for a lithotripsy procedure in Feb 08. That didn't work. I didn't pass any stones. In March 2008, I had left nephrolithiasis and lithotripsy again. In March, I had a left ureterscopy with laser infundibulotomy (1cm stone). It seemed to have worked until March 2009. What seemed to be a UTI, turned out to be another couple of stones. In april 09, I had a ureterscopy with laser infundibultomy and lithotripsy. Deemed as renal calculi with infundibular stenosis. I then stopped seeing the local doctors and went to U of M. I was told I had nephrolithiasis and calcial diverticulum or hydrocalix.

The decision to do a retrograde ureterscopy and the insertion of a percutaneous nephrostomy tube was made. I had the tube in for 6 weeks. It did releive the flank pain. The tube was removed and BOOM, the flank pain returned. This time, the doc insisted that it wasn't stones, but scar tissue and calcification. He proceeded to do a partial nephrectomy in Oct 09.

I am now 7 weeks out and the flank pain is as it was in June of 09. Like prior to the perc tube being inserted.

I had a CT scan and it says that I have a urinoma. This urinoma is in the same place as where the part of the kidney was removed. The flank pain is getting out of hand. The doctor says that I should once again have a nephrostomy tube put in to drain the kidney.

Mind you, he keeps saying that my kidney is working fine. However, all three doctors I have seen indicate that I have a very tiny ureter.

I'm ticked off, scared to death and sick of this pain. The doctor was so proud of himself,indicating that the partial nephrectomy surgery was a success. yeah, a success. That's why I'm having this pain still. They called this a congintal abnormality. If taht's the case, why does it wait until I'm 38 years old to give me a problem?

Putting another perc tube in will result in what? The flank pain needs to stop and I need to quit being someone's experiment. to me, this perc tube will only be a bandaid for the real problem, whatever that is. I believe that it has something to do with the size of my ureter and how urine drains from the kidney.

Like I said, I have now the same pain (w/a urinoma) that I did without back 6 months ago. Doc thinks I'm nuts, but wants to be there when the IR departmetn puts the tube in.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread