It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Question on RBC and Hemoglobin numbers

I know that there are a few different charts of what's normal out there, but can someone tell me what the normal count is for the RBC count and the Hemoglobin count? My sister was asking because hers was RBC-5.12 and Hemogloblin-15.1. Is that high on either? If it is, what causes it to be high? She has asthma and allergies too but I didn't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Thanks for the info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question on RBC and Hemoglobin numbers

Values can vary from lab to lab but the results sheet should give you their ranges.
RBC is usually 4.2-5.9 so 5.12 would barely be high. And Hemoglobin is usually 12-16 so she's within normal range there. Why was she tested?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

She got had a regular physical like she gets every year. Why would her RBC be high? Any ideas?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: needless quote

Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, we don't know if it was high. Her lab may use different values. Her doctor should be able to explain whether or not it is actually high and what it could mean.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
(male)

blues1986 HB User

This is what I know...

Over the summer I had a series of blood tests done, and several times my red blood count was coming back very high. My doctor didn't tell me this, it was only after flipping through the test results did I notice that my RBC count was no where near the normal levels. A week later I was at the neurologists getting another round of blood tests done. A few days later I got a call from the neuro saying that the RBC came back very high and he was not sure what exactly causes numbers to be that high.

I am going in for more tests soon, and they said they want to check the RBC levels again.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

How would Dr's not know what causes RBC to be high? I would think that's general knowledge to them. Why didn't they tell you it was high?? Helloo..I would think they would say something. What is wrong with these Dr's??

Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
(male)

blues1986 HB User

My original(now former) doctor never mentioned the high RBC. I came across it when looking at the results. I noticed that the RBC was nowhere near the normal range, but since my doctor never mentioned it, I never gave it a second thought. After getting the next blood test, and that too was showing a high RBC, I immediately knew it wasn't a one time fluke.

My neuro did tell me it could have been a number of different things, like dehydration and what not. What he didn't know is whether dehydration could cause the numbers to be THAT high.

Let me try and get my RBC numbers and let you see how out of whack they are.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
(female)

cjduel HB User

One of the most common causes of an elevated Red Blood Cell Count is a condition called Polycythemia Vera (abbreviated often as PV). It is more common in men, but women can also have it. They may order a test called a Red Cell Mass test that is performed usually in the radiology department. Also, there are newer genetic tests and they may also do an erythropoietin level.
If they need to rule out other disorders, they may also perform a bone marrow biopsy.
These are some symptoms of P. vera:
Breathing difficulty when lying down
Dizziness
Fullness in the left upper abdomen
Headache
Itchiness, especially after a warm bath
Red coloring, especially of the face
Shortness of breath
Symptoms of phlebitis
Symptoms are due to increased blood thickness and clotting.

Bluish skin discoloration
Fatigue
Red skin spots
Vision problems

Hope this helps some

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
(male)

blues1986 HB User

I can not believe how many symptoms that you listed associated with Polycythemia vera that I currently have. The visions problems, red spots all over my arms and chest, the shortness of breath, the itchiness, the overall fatigue. Then I looked up Polycythemia vera and read a few more signs that I have been noticing as well.

I may finally have an answer for all this.

Closed Thread