It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
(male)

CharlieFoxtrot HB User
How to get rid of motion sickness?

I seem to have a problem with motion sickness. Its not really on cars, planes, and boats, its mostly with extreme motion like roller coasters. The problem is, I'm going into the air force in a few years and am going to apply for a flight school after ROTC and hopefully get a fighter slot. The problem is, I can't handle the motion without feeling terrible. I am not overweight or malnourished, I'm a healthy 16 year old male.

But even when I'm flying small single engine airplanes, I have to be gentle on the yoke because any crazy maneuvers and I feel like crap. If I can't handle it in a small single engine airplane, then no way can I pull 6+ G turns in a multi-million dollar F-16.

So, how can I cure myself from motion sickness? Spin myself around in a chair every day? Take medicine? How can I get rid of it?

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 11-18-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: How to get rid of motion sickness?

Welcome Charlie and Congratulations joining the Air Force in a few years.
There is medication for motion sickness. You may want to discuss this with your doctor as he may prescribe medication for you. This may be best to find the right medication before you begin your Flight school.

Wish you all the Best
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

This is something that has to be cured before flight school. Trust me, the AF won't allow him to be on meds in flight school. There are waaay too many folks that want to be a pilot to accept someone who has to take meds to fly. That will bounce you out of the program ASAP. they are pretty strict on the medical rules for being a pilot. Height, weight, vision, hearing.....

If you have been taking flying lessons, why don't you ask your instructor what he suggests? He might have some ideas. Whether it is time in a chamber tha spins or taking you up and doing spins and loops......

Good luck..... I am a 20+ year AF wife

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
(male)

CharlieFoxtrot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibake&pray View Post
This is something that has to be cured before flight school. Trust me, the AF won't allow him to be on meds in flight school. There are waaay too many folks that want to be a pilot to accept someone who has to take meds to fly. That will bounce you out of the program ASAP. they are pretty strict on the medical rules for being a pilot. Height, weight, vision, hearing.....

If you have been taking flying lessons, why don't you ask your instructor what he suggests? He might have some ideas. Whether it is time in a chamber tha spins or taking you up and doing spins and loops......

Good luck..... I am a 20+ year AF wife
Thanks for the advice. My height, vision, and weight are impeccable. But like I said, motion sickness is my main weakness. I was just wondering if spinning myself around a lot whether it be on the ground or in an airplane will help the situation at all. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding curing air sickness, just how to treat it. I will talk to my CFI and see what he has to say.

On a side note, is your husband a pilot?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

No, just our best friend. My hubby was a Titan II missle crew commander to start out, then a weapons officer..

Closed Thread