It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User
Vitamin B 12 Deficiency

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever had to deal with having a B 12 deficiency? I have had the fatigue for months now, many months sleeping for 15 to 16 hrs a day but didn't think anything of it, but now my mouth started to fall apart so I went to the Dr. and he tested for the B12 deficiency, and sure enough I am deficient.

I am going to take supplements for about six weeks then re-test and if there is no change then I will start the injections. My question is has anyone had B12 deficiency with their mouth involved? How long did it take for it to get better? My mouth still hurts, and it has been a couple of weeks. It makes it so hard to eat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Vitamin B 12 Deficiency

B12 deficiency is usually due to one of the following:

* Vegan or near-vegan diet.
* Lack of intrinsic factor needed to absorb B12, in which case injections will be needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

bellagal HB User

hi there i am b12 deficient and have been since last year but i only found out reasently.my mouthhas been really bad since march,my gp gave me cream for the cuts at the edges of my mouth and a mouthwash with no alcohol in it for the inside of my mouth.the cream did help but it took 9 weeks or so befor the outside of my mouth started to clear up.my gp said the cream could take 3 months to clear it i still put it on every day and it helps ease the pain.as for inside my mouth using the mouthwash was agony i tried it for about a week but it just kept making my mouth worse.my gp said there is nothing else i can try.my tounge is slightly swollen and fiery red also feels smooth.my gums are swollen also its just agony isnt it.iv been back to my gp with my tounge ans she said it wont heal until my b12 levels go up.my levels are below 100.iv not to get any treatment for it just now due to having a high white cell count,i dont understand why that makes a differance.i do understand your pain your not alone with this.i cant eat very much at all because of my mouth i find the only thing i can eat with a little pain is a sandwich.i hope your dr can find something that can help your mouth.if you do get something to help maybe you could let me know so i caan try it as it looks like i wont be getting any b12 injections for a while yet.if i cant eat healthy how else am i supposed to try and get my b12 levels up.i just dint no..im not a vegetarian or vegan i normally eat anything my diet is very mixed.reasent blood tests have also shown i dont have perniciouse anaemia or ceoliac disease although iv to get them done again next week.i wish you all the best and hope your mouth heals up soon esp if your gp has given you some b12 medication.good luck bellagal

Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

Originalangie57 HB User

Hi, I am new to this forum.
I wanted to answer you because I am anemic and I have been taking a tablespoon twice daily of Molasses. If you look on the back of the bottle, it has 8 percent iron in each tablespoon serving. I put it in my protein shakes with some spinach and also use it in my tea.
It is very sweet and tasty and you find it in the baking section of the grocery store. Just a suggestion. I am eager to see if it works for me the next time they check my blood.
My doctor was on board with it too and it should build up your B too.
Angela

Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

chrstydwn1 HB User

I just recently was diagnosed with a deficiency however no mouth problems until I started the shots. Now I have some problems under the tounge. I will say that I do not see to much of a difference in energy. It would be nice if I was doing better, cause I am miserable. I will say that I also have a thyroid problem however they say that my levels are better.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

Jersey Goseng HB User

hi there. but they say tea washes out the iron. your doc has any word on this?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

bellagal HB User

hi can i ask did you mean drinking tea washes iron out of the body. i worry about this as i drink loads of tea every day,my iron is now low along with my b12. please if you dontt mind let me know if thats what you ment. thanks bellagal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Goseng View Post
hi there. but they say tea washes out the iron. your doc has any word on this?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
(female)

Jersey Goseng HB User

yes, that's how i understand it. Other substances like milk, i think, sort of "binds" the iron thus rendering it useless, too.

what i would like to find out is, if you take the iron-rich food or supplement two hours apart from the tea, would it still be washed away?

anyone with info on this ?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
(female)

Jersey Goseng HB User

ok, here's what i got from a webpage of the Univ of Illinois and other websites :

yes, we should take iron supplements at least 1-2 hours apart from tea, coffee, fibers and calcium supplements as these either washes out or binds the iron. eggs as well. also not to be taken together with zinc supplements. i think also better to switch to green instead of black tea.

share with you, too a traditional chinese remedy which is very effective for anemia (not for the hypertensive though) : 3-4 few pieces of pork ribs (scale off the meat, esp if you have cysts or myomas, you wouldn't want to feed those nasty tissues) boiled for a few minutes together with several handful of brown peanut skin (toast the peanuts a bit to remove the skin, but don't include the peanuts in the soup, esp, if you have arthritis or other protein-related problems. skinning the peanuts can be quite tedious, but what the heck, you can do it while watching tv). Add a little salt. Enjoy as hot soup. It's delicious. important that you take only one cup per day. you may add leafy green veggies, and chinese agaricus mushroom, if you like. this one is also very good for reproduction of normal blood cells.

then a traditional grandmother's recipe : boil tops of violet camote leaves for around 5-10 minutes or only until the water turns dark green (not sure but i think this is yam or sweet potato ). it's one of the richest sources of veggie iron. then cool (it should turn a nice pink when cold), add a few drops of lemon and brown sugar (haven't tried molasses but it should taste fine, too, i think). I drink a glass or two each day, in between meals. it's actually better i think to take it warm, except that it won't taste as nice as when it's very cold.

My experience is both have been very helpful in my iron deficiency treatment (esp. the pork ribs soup) though I'll know in a week or two when i have my CBC again exactly how much it helps ....

Closed Thread