It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

cleefbulfman HB User
Heavy Heart Beat In Left Arm By Elbow

Ever since I got to work this morning I've been having a heavy heart beat in my left arm right above the elbow in between the bicep and tricep. I don't smoke and I eat moderately well but I know I could always exercise more and lose 10-15 pounds. I am 28 years old and I work a job where I'm on the computer all day long so it's not very active on the job front. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this heart beat thing in the arm. I'm worried

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Heavy Heart Beat In Left Arm By Elbow

Sounds like your brachial artery, (that's the major vein in the upper arm - where they take your blood pressure) if it hasn't stopped by now or returns, you should see a doctor just to check it out. It's probably nothing serious, do you remember straining that arm? Bumping your "funny bone" on that elbow? Do you keep that elbow leaning on the arm rest of your chair?

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 11-25-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Heavy Heart Beat In Left Arm By Elbow

hey AL, ya had a little typo up there. while you are right about it being more than likely the brachial artery, you mentioned it was a vein just a few words later. not a biggie but i just wanted the poster to know that this IS an artery like you mentioned at first.

the mere fact that you are suddenly really feeling this as it beats(do you sense this in your head or see it or only when you lightly touch it? is it "bounding"?) could mean a potential issue like a higher than the norm BP or some sort of real change in the flow velocity that makes the vessel a bit smaller in the inside and would tend to be more "forceful as it is being more "squirted" thru that vessle? ya know what i mean? i really would get the BP checked as soon as possible(you can usually get your BPs checked easily at any local FD in your city. we did this all the time when i had my life and was a FF/EMT) and get into see your doc about this too. the best thing to really do here to kind of rule our stenosis or plauque build up or the formation of a possible blood clot among other things, would be to just obtain a simple doppler ultrasound on it. this really IS the best way to actually check vessel flow velocity. its pretty quick too. but DO most definitely see your doc or go to urgent care/ER if something just does not 'feel right' in other ways too? hopefully things are okay and this was only a one time thing. please keep us posted, FB

Closed Thread