It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

Giant_Squid HB User
Can't Stop Sweating

For the past few years for no reason or any reason at all I sweat a lot in the arm pits and I never know why.

I can't even tell you how many shirts have been ruined because of it. Sometimes I don't even know I'm sweating until I look at my shirt and see sweat stains under the arms. And 90% of the time its not because I'm hot, in fact it could be 50 degrees outside and my arm pits will sweat like I'm in a running race. Other times its a really cold sweat and I don't even know I'm sweating till the drops of perspiration run down the side of my abdomen. My parents have told me it could be nerves or anxiety but a lot of time I don't feel either of those. I've sweat so much at times under the arms only its gone through two shirts and a jacket.

It seems like I could have overactive sweat glands, but does that really mean you sweat for no reason or does it mean you sweat more than you should for a given situation? I've also thought about going to a doctor for it but that seems like I'd have to go through a lot of tests and medicines. Is there anything out there I can take or do that'll stop me from sweating so much? I've tried over the counter "prescription strength" deodorant but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot at times. At most it just reduces the amount I sweat by a little.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

point08 HB User
Re: Can't Stop Sweating

It may help if you know what the medical term is. Its called hyperhydrosis or hyperhidrosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
(male)

Giant_Squid HB User

Is there any sort of "cure" or relief medicine I can use without needing to see a doctor?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

Silver264 HB User

There are anticholinergics such as Ditropan or Robinul which can help, however the side effects such as dry mouth and dry eyes may be worse to deal with. You can purchase Drysol antiperspirant but it may itch and burn and be uncomfortable. It's definitely worth a try though and should be your first line of defense.

Please don't fall into the trap of having a sympathectomy done (ETS). There are ads all over the internet claiming to be a minimally invasive cure. You could very well end up much, much worse and there is no way to predict who will be left with severe side effects which will be permanent. Some surgeons claim that if you go for the clamping method, it can be reversed. There is no scientific data to support that.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

fireweed HB User

There are a number of medical conditions that can cause excessive sweating. It would be wise to see a physician to figure out what it causing yours. I had bouts of excessive sweating due to thyroid issues.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Try looking it up on line, there are some really helpful sites and Doctors that treat this now as it is so common. Very embarrsing, people have it on their heads, hands, necks. Botox is one help but that is expensieve and only temp. They are working on it!!!Hang in there

Closed Thread