It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Living in a Recliner

Yes, I am.

I pondered where to put this thread, since it has components that belong on the kidney board, the stroke board, the heart board, the hypertension board, the thyroid board, the anemia board, the RLS board, the depression board, the pain management board, the orthopedic board...ad nauseum!

Just listing all those things freaks me out! I honestly have all these things going on at once, and I am no hypochondriac, in fact quite the opposite! I am a young 49 years old woman, active, and vibrant one day, and living in a recliner today! Oh, not just today, or I would never have mentioned it...I have been living in a recliner for 6 weeks!

I am tired, I will come back with more later....

Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

Ayvah2 HB User
Re: Living in a Recliner

I don't know the extent of your conditions, if one of them requires you to be bedbound/relicnerbound temporarily, but I must say that the more you stay in the recliner, the harder it will be to get back to daily life. Mobility is absolutely key to much of health. Get whatever pain relief you need so you can do physical therapy and get back into life. You are still young and have a lot of life left.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thank you for your response. You are absolutely correct, which is why I am scared to death. I will start physical therapy if my condition does not improve greatly by next week, when I see my orthopedic doctor.

This is the chain of events that brought me here. First I had 4 strokes and a heart attack about 6 years ago. I fought my way back from that. As a result of the hypertension, which caused the strokes, I lost my kidney function to around 20%. I am soon to start dialysis and get on the list for a kidney transplant. I was then diagnosed hypothyroid, and anemic.

In mid October, I sat with a dear friend until his death at his bedside. That is when I became very weak and fatigued, but I chalked it up to the stress, and tried to press on. That was the beginning of the end. Finally my back went out, and that was it!

I am under the close eyes of doctors I trust, and I have appointments almost everyday it seems. I take enough medication to drop a horse, but the recently added pain medication is the one that concerns me the most.

I have elderly parents whom I should be taking care of, as well as my youngest son who is still in high school. I have always been very active, involved in my community, working, etc...up until now. I know that the longer this goes on, the harder it will be for me to overcome, but my biggest fear is that I will not overcome this. I am strong in my convictions, and keep a positive attitude, but without the strength to even stand up, how can I fight this ?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
(male)

One Lunger HB User

I have to agree with Ayvah2 You have to get active just a little every day
goes along ways. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

writeleft I am sorry to hear this! I hope you start getting physical therapy soon and that your family is willing to help out!
how are you getting to your doctors appointments?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Writeleft, I am at a loss for words, but reading your message brought tears to my eyes, and this is happening to me for the second time to day. I know I am an emotional man, and crying a bit doesn't really emasculate me. But I was crying not only out of sadness over the news from you, but also for the realization that I can't be of any concrete help to you, except through praying and sending over good vibrations. I don't know how good I am with those things. No, I don't meant to see you purely as a victim, but it blows my mind to understand that you are a strong-willed person struggling with a personal battle, perhaps bigger than you might have expected.

Anyway, I know that a mind's force and power is huge, and alone through mental images you can accelerate your healing process. There are books about this, it won't be difficult to find them. You can create those mental images of yourself as a totally "healthy" person again even on your recliner. Breathe slowly and intently and talk to your inner organs (eyes closed) as if you could delicately encourage them to heal. Do that as often as possible every day. I feel that you will gradually become yourself again.

I think the advice from the others is also very commendable.

Keep us informed, will you?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Thank you my friends, for your responses. Today has been a little better. I was able to get to another doctors appointment, have lunch out, and do a little grocery shopping, with help from Chad. I have another appointment tomorrow, so I will use that opportunity to do some walking. The ortho gave me a set of exersizes that I am doing, however slowly.

Rose, I have been getting to and from with the help of everyone, family, neighbors, friends...I am very fortunate in that way. Thankfully, my doctors are all within a few miles from home.

Pendulum, I am sorry to cause you such concern. You are such a kind spirit, and your friendship and support are comforting. I appreciate you thoughtful words. This thing is bigger than me, and my goal is to move through it as gracefully and positively as I can. I believe in the power of positive thinking and imagery too, as it has proven to be so important along the way. I will actively practice. Thank you...

Love to you all...Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 12-08-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm glad you have people around you to help you out. It's ironic, the thing that is so shocking about your situation is that you're so young to have all these serious health issues, but that's the thing you have on your side also. You're young, you can rebound from this. Stay positive and keep moving, even if it's walking slowly, every little bit helps.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

You are right Rose...I have too much ahead of me to quit now! I still have a son to get through high school, and off to college. I still have lots to do. I should be a good candidate for a transplant eventually...although the idea of that still scares the wits out of me.

Today is a new day. I appreciate all your support...these things are difficult to discuss with anyone, but it feels better to get them out here. Thanks for listening...

Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad you're feeling a little better today. Talk to us anytime, we'll try to help. So you have an appointment today.....I'm glad you're getting out.
We have snow here!!! Hopefully you don't!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

It is nice to be on the boards again, although I much prefer giving support than asking for it....

Today is a great day to be alive!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Time will Heal and you will gain strength.

Sending many Blessings your way.
My Many Prayers are with you.

Live Life Well
BeHappy2

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Another day, another visit to a doctor...this time my pulmonary doc. Had another test, a breathing test, got another test to schedule, this time an old fashioned chest xray. This doctor wants me to discontinue the medication that another doctor just started me on last week, while another doctor wants me to give up the hospital that I have been going to, and go to his. One doctor diagnosed me hypothyroid, the other doctors disagree. They all mention that I might be depressed...no $hit!

I decide to take a vacation from this whole thing until next week, when the appointments start again. I bought myself a beer, and started to laugh! My dog brought his ball over to my recliner, for a game of fetch. From here I can see a cobweb...oh well.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
It is nice to be on the boards again, although I much prefer giving support than asking for it....

Today is a great day to be alive!
I knew you were going to say that, lol, but it's time for you to let your hair down. Give us a chance, for a change. We, too, like to give support TO YOU.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Ah, Mr. Pendulum...you have a way with words!

Tonight I am in a funny, happy state. I gave in to all my problems, the barrage of doctors appointments is over for a week, so I am officially on stay-cation.

Things seemed to turn around for me yesterday, co-incidentally just as my hubby got sick. He brought home a terrible coughing, sinus, sore throat thing, so me living in the recliner turned into a good thing, as he quarantined himself in the back of the house, and I was already set up in the front room. Time will tell if our quarantine worked...I simply can't get sick right now, and we have taken every precaution...it's funny! Once he couldn't take care of me, I rose from the ashes and saved the day. Necessity being the mother of invention.

So you want me to let my hair down? What hair? My poor hair is another victim of illness that I can't hide. Tonight my son and I went to his cross country banquet (in the school cafeteria) and before we left he got a comb and some hairspray and fixed up my hair the best he could. What a touching moment. My hair is dead.

I also took everyone's advice to get moving, and I did today. I took my dogs over to a friends house, where they often go...just to get all of us out of the house. Within 5 minutes of arriving, a cat ran by, and both dogs ran by, and from there it was a melee! I wrestled the dogs for a good 10 minutes as they got tagged by the cat, in a bush, trying to catch them, and get the cat back over the fence. So, there was my cardio folks!

I even gave in to my crazy sleep pattern too. Instead of fighting my breathing machine all night to get my necessary hours in, I am sleeping 4 on- 4 off. Who says you have to stay asleep 8 hours, and stay up all the rest? By living in a recliner, I can sleep with the machine awhile, and then get up awhile, etc. That means I am up for a few hours in the middle of the night, when I can write. I love it, in fact it is 4:00 am right now, and I am as happy as a clam to be up. My only obligation is to get my son to school everyday, and I am done with that at 7:30 aM. I am in a car pool, so I drive in the am, and another mom brings my son home. Another bonus to living in a recliner. It just works for now, so be it.

Today was a great day to be alive.

Closed Thread