It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Speaking out one side of mouth, unilateral hearing loss and TMJ

I have unilateral (one sided) severe hearing loss. I've recently found out that I have TMJ. I've been working with a Physical Therapist to loosen my TMJ muscles. As part of this process she pointed out to me that I speak out of one side of my mouth. My TMJ is worse on the side side I don't speak out of. Turns out that I'm speaking to my good ear and shifting my jaw that direction and not using the muscles much on the side of my "bad" ear. She recommended that I practice trying to speak from both sides at the same time. I'm 39. Trying to learn to break a habit I've had since I was born with is a daunting prospect. I'm not sure where to start. I haven't been able to find out much on one-sided hearing loss and speaking toward that ear. Everything I can find is directed towards children in school.

Anyone out there have or know someone who has hearing loss in one side? Do they also have the tendency to speak towards that ear or is it just me? How do they compensate their speech with the hearing loss?

I'm thinking maybe I need to find a good speech therapist. Problem is that I don't have a lot of money and what I do have I'm using to pay out of pocket for the TMJ issue. I'm not sure I can affort PT and speech therapy. I also recently found that the new technology hearing aids would help my "bad" ear enough I could recognize speech now, but I need to come up with $4400 for them. Having some hearing in that ear might help, but it will be a while before I'm able to fiscally take that approach. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
(male)

maximus1234 HB User
Re: Speaking out one side of mouth, unilateral hearing loss and TMJ

Hi - ive been deaf in my right ear ince the age of around 7 - as ive got older and particularly in recent years ive been told by people I have this annoying problem of speaking toward the other ear

It seems there is a definate link between the too as I have observed other people with single sided deafness do the same thing a me

I too have thought about a speech therapist but Im not in a great financial position

Did you get any other tips on how to exercise the other side??

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Speaking out one side of mouth, unilateral hearing loss and TMJ

I've been paying for TMJ treatment that is all out of pocket so I haven't had the opportunity to persue speech therapy. My PT just told me to practice talking looking into a mirror. It really isn't that simple though. I do notice a muscle difference on both sides though and it is affecting my TMJ in that way. My face has become more and more asymmetrical over the years.

It is good to know that there are others out there with the same problem. It isn't something people speak about much.

Good luck,
MountainReader

Closed Thread