It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Question on blood work

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Jlhn7856
(male)

Jlhn7856 HB User
Question on blood work

My sister told me that her friends Mom's blood workup came back and showed that she has Heptatitis C. She has no idea how that could happen. She didn't fall under the typical causes of the disease. Can anyone tell me how this would happen? I don't know anything about it and my personal question is, if she does have it, is this a person that you shouldn't use the same towel, drink after the person, etc...? I heard a long time ago that people who had the disease more or less should be quarantined! Is that true? Thanks for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
AuntieLeela
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Question on blood work

Hep C is spread by blood-to-blood contact. Needle transmission is most common, through illegal drug use or through a dirty needle in a professional setting, like a dental office, blood lab, etc. Less often it can be transmitted through personal items - a dirty manicure or pedicure, sharing a razor or toothbrush . . .

Here's the full FAQ:
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

"What are ways Hepatitis C is not spread?
Hepatitis C virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing. It is also not spread through food or water."

Hep C patients don't require quarantine.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 12-13-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Jlhn7856
(male)

Jlhn7856 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Hep C is spread by blood-to-blood contact. Needle transmission is most common, through illegal drug use or through a dirty needle in a professional setting, like a dental office, blood lab, etc. Less often it can be transmitted through personal items - a dirty manicure or pedicure, sharing a razor or toothbrush . . .

Here's the full FAQ:
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

"What are ways Hepatitis C is not spread?
Hepatitis C virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing. It is also not spread through food or water."

Hep C patients don't require quarantine.
So she may never know how she got it??

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

unfortunetly that could be true. depending upon just how old she is and things that were just not known way back when, it could have come from ANY type of possible contaminated item that did have blood on it and it was not disinfected properly? or any direct blood/blood type of contact she may have had but may not even remeber cuz it just happened quickly or something along those lines? there was just no real info about hep c and alot of other types of diseases and condtions way back even in the 70s and 80s like there just is right now so anything is indeed a possible here.

there IS a really great hep board here down in the 'H" section? you would probably be able to obtain a much clearer understanding of this there than here. **

Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Jlhn7856
(male)

Jlhn7856 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
unfortunetly that could be true. depending upon just how old she is and things that were just not known way back when, it could have come from ANY type of possible contaminated item that did have blood on it and it was not disinfected properly? or any direct blood/blood type of contact she may have had but may not even remeber cuz it just happened quickly or something along those lines? there was just no real info about hep c and alot of other types of diseases and condtions way back even in the 70s and 80s like there just is right now so anything is indeed a possible here.

there IS a really great hep board here down in the 'H" section? you would probably be able to obtain a much clearer understanding of this there than here. **
Yea, I know but I posted here because I noticed not that many people are on that board at a time. Thanks!!!

Closed Thread