It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

high serum folate and high vitamin b12

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
sper2071
(female)

sper2071 HB User
high serum folate and high vitamin b12

Hi,

I'm not sure where to post this so please tell me where to post it if its in the wrong place.

I'm 24 and just had a standard blood test and everything was within the normal reference limits accept for folate and vitamin b12 which were high. And cholesterol was lower than normal (3.1mmol/L) but thats apparently good anyway. The doctor asked if I was taking any supplements and I'm not so I'm confused and worried about why the levels are so high. I did take a multivitamin for a very brief period of time (a week) and stopped taking it approx a week or two before the blood test. Also, maybe a few days before the blood test I had two vitmain tablets that had iron and a vitamin B complex in it but the vitamin b12 that was in it was the non-absorbable form (cyanocabalamin). This was the blood test results: Vitamin b12 was 756pmol/L and red cell folate was 1950nmol/L. I do try and eat alot of fruits and vegetables and wholegrains but I thought that only unless you take supplements or foods fortified with folate that folate would be this high. I assumed that the wholegrains I eat would not be fortified with folate because they are not refined. For eg, brown rice is not refined and it says in the ingredients of my rye bread that it only has rye flour, water and salt. So what the???

if anyone could shed some light as to what could possibly be going on here that would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread